• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

site problems

71bmr02

Did my computer just go south or is there something wonky with this site.  I no longer get links to forums or anyother content.  Now there is a hignlighted heart icon in upper left corner with "more" displayed if hovered over.  i can back into forums if i use the search function.  any one else having problems? i recently installed a new security program and am wondering if that is blocking some content (although it has been running for a couple of weeks and this new problem with the site happened just last evening).

update  checked my security program and nothing running or preset to block this site content

Edited by 71bmr02

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Yep, me too. This started a day or so ago.

Something changes on this Site weekly..................it's frustrating.

edit: using Internet Explorer. I'm old school (it's why I drive an '02), I don't change anything so I get no surprises.........except on the faq board.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Yeah, somethings wrong. I have this non-stop orange warning sign at  the top telling me I must update my email address because the emails they send me are being blocked, yet I receive emails from the site daily that I can open and read. Go figure. Hopefully they will get it all sorted soon. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Perhaps you guys could post which browser you are using and whether you have Java enabled... 

I went to the "Site Problems" forum to see if anyone was talking about this there, but the issues there seem a little different.

I am using Chrome and it seems to be working fine.

There have been changes, such as needing to click on items in the menu bar, to have the options drop down (used to only have to pass the cursor over them), but I can still see the options.  Someone in the problems forum lost the bar completely.

That forum would probably be a good place for this thread, since Steve monitors it and seems good about responding.  

Having it here will definitely lead to more discussion though :) 

I worked around loss of tool bar by changing the search address.  btw using chrome also and until yesterday evening all was working as it should, although i did have to click on the individual forums to get the options whereas recently hovering over displayed options.  took a while to work thru it but finally found a key.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

There is something going on with the general internet scene.  I don't have problems with any incoming email from anyone (I wouldn't know if some don't make it because I am on the inbound end and don't get to see which are bounced).  Many of my outgoing emails to wherever bounce.  I contacted Century Link my provider and they opened a problem report.  They acknowledged certain ip addresses are being blocked and the problem is being worked.  This has been happening for a over a week.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I find it takes forever to resolve external addresses at home, but that's most likely our soundspeed- fast DSL in action.

With Chrome, things seem normal- likewise, FireFocks...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

With the big site-update that Steve did a couple weeks ago, the top Site Nav "menu" (which had grown very large) was collapsed into a single icon/widget (down arrow in a box, on a grey background), that says "More" when hovered over..   But CLICKing on that icon drops down and expands out the full/complete site navigation menu.

I don't know whether this design is just an interim 'fix' or the way it'll stay now...  It's different, but it works well enough.

New FAQ main menu.png

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

• Administrators

I know about the existence of the Menu problem. It exists in Safari on Mac and possibly iPad.  I did not know about it broken on the Explorer.  

The dropdown on the left side will bring down the full menu. 

I am working on trying to fix this.

Btw, posting problems in https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/forum/12-site-problems-suggestions-and-questions/ will bring them up to my attention a lot quicker.

Steve K.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Steve, Thanks for the info, generally i havn't had enough problems with the site to go to "site problems" but will do so in the future if problems come up.

I changed the address at address field from bmw2002faq dot com  to bmw2002faq dot com/forums/   this works to bring back the full forums menu and goes past the dropdown which is supposed to bring up the menu list.  i used the heart more icon last evening and it worked once then would not work again. 

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Attached is a screen shot of what i could see earlier today.

Internet Explorer, PC.

For what it's worth, everything looks good on my mac running firefox.

Also, Thanks for everything you do Steve! image001.thumb.png.34478db2934dbee9fbd268b99995a8f8.png

Edited by dasfrogger
Thanks Steve!