• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

89.47 mm 9.5:1 Pistons, what are people using?

1974_Verona

Ive decided to skip using the QSC pistons I bought. They are just funky in dimensions, and I don't trust them at this point. Im not up for rolling the dice to find out down the line that they really are junk etc. 

Soooo....

Ive got a block ready for 89.47 mm (2nd over) pistons. Using an E12 head that has a IW 292 cam. What are people using? TIA 

• Like 1

QSC is a Chinese manufacturer that is selling $200 USD a set pistons on US ebay. They are, for all intents and purposes, very nice paper weights as they are made incorrectly in deck height and piano dome height. 

They seem to have pulled their listing after my 7 heated phone calls to them. 

I found some used Mahles on ebay, but the seller is asking $100 shy of having new ones made. 

Im using a IE 4:1 step header as well as a 38/38 Weber. Ive been watching your thread Scoob- great work you are doing there!

Edited by 1974_Verona

2 hours ago, 1974_Verona said:

Ive got a block ready for 89.47 mm (2nd over) pistons. Using an E12 head that has a IW 292 cam. What are people using? TIA 

Consider custom ... it allows you to compensate design / adjust compression ratio for head thickness, deck height, etc (I don't quite get how an off-the-shelf piston can be called a "9.5:1" piston without knowing the other variables (they matter)). With custom, you can get most bore sizes (sourcing ring sets for 89.47 are a little tricky, I've found).

If your block was with me, I'd have a set of custom forged pistons made of 4032 alloy (I don't sell them, except in the engines I build). -KB

pistons-installed.jpg

pistons-e12-custom.jpg

• Like 1

KB, Since you clearly have some experience here, what do you consider a safe deck clearance? .040"? .050"? 

I put my engine together with these odd ass pistons I have and I get .051" using a compressed 1.8mm HG. 

I ask because I see on the photos you attached that piston is relieved slightly.  

Edited by 1974_Verona

I bought a new (still sealed) set of 2nd oversize pistons form this guy in Germany (I live in Belgium and it was no problem to send them to me not sure about the US though)

I see that he still has a set for sale.

http://marktplatz.bmw-02-club.de/showad.php?adid=12311

(edit: I paid 510€ incl shipping)

Edited by D.martijn
  • Thanks 1

I used TEP Top End Performance made to order forged ones and although a bit more pricey than other options they were great to work with and installed beautifully

I think they were $695 on sale a few months ago. Life blood of the car (besides that insanely overpriced oil pump!) so a good part to not skimp on

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

I got a set of used but within spec 89.47 9.5:1 Mahle Pistons that were the high dome piano tops when Ken did my refresh. I hav seen them on eBay at times but I put a parts wanted as here on the FAQ and got a nice set here. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

On 8/18/2017 at 0:24 PM, kbmb02 said:

Consider custom ... it allows you to compensate design / adjust compression ratio for head thickness, deck height, etc (I don't quite get how an off-the-shelf piston can be called a "9.5:1" piston without knowing the other variables (they matter)). With custom, you can get most bore sizes (sourcing ring sets for 89.47 are a little tricky, I've found).

If your block was with me, I'd have a set of custom forged pistons made of 4032 alloy (I don't sell them, except in the engines I build). -KB

JE Pistons  As used for my rebuilt tii engine and recommended by my machinist. 90mm, 10.5:1, custom. Not cheap! Rudy, the rebuilder, told me the best way is to make a mold of the combustion chamber with the valves installed and send that to the piston manufacturer so they know exactly what they are dealing with. It probably depends on high a c/r one wants as the whether or not a mold is necessary. With custom you get the latest and the greatest technology and materials. 

On 8/22/2017 at 3:37 PM, 1974_Verona said:

Ok, well no one seems to have any to offer so I will consider this case closed. I went ahead with the pistons I had, what is life without a little risk? 

IMG_4910.JPG

Please share some feedback after you fire up the engine. I just ordered my set QSC pistons. I hope they should fit even after some little work on them. Sorry but the price for new OEM set is too overpriced for piston with 50-years old specs.

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof