• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 2002

Kostenfalle

Price: $9500

Description:

Selling my '73 2002. Here is the link to my craigslist posting : https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-bmw-2002-e10/6282325320.html

I will copy and past the important stuff as well. Since I have listed it on craigslist, I have to sound sort of like an asshole. This is to weed out the idiots:

Cash only! Must come to Knoxville for pickup. I will not deliver. If you want a pick up service, you are buying it sight unseen and I will not refund your funds for any reason. Your funds must be a bank transfer and will sit for 5 days before pick up. You must arrange all shipping if you want it shipped. I will not do anything at all and will only sign a bill of laden. Nothing more. Test drives are welcome, but you need to prove insurance and cash. I will ride with you. No exceptions. I have the title. 

The M10 engine runs strong and the 4 speed manual transmission is strong as well. Does not grind to get into gear. Clutch is good to go as well. I have been all over this car since April and know it pretty well. I daily drive it about 30 miles round trip to work in Oak Ridge. You probably see me riding though Powell as well. I've been across the Dragon and the Devils triangle several times. I have the original manual that shows this is a GI bring back from 1973 as it was originally bought in Germany. Has dents, dings, rust, dust, and everything you would expect from a 44 year old car.

This is not a "show car" other than people like to look at it. It's a really good driver that could use a cosmetic makeover. Why am I selling it? We bought a Wrangler. Simple as that.

Cons: The paint is a pretty rough. Some rust and bubbles, but nothing in structural areas from what I can see. Dash has some cracks, but again, nothing serious. The odometer needs to be fixed (simple and free, but I got lazy). It weeps a little oil from the filler cap, so it will smell like burning oil sometimes. I keep an eye on it and looks like it needs a 1/4 quart about every 1000 miles or so. The transmission fluid leaks as I am using a synthetic so this is to be expected. I add a few ounces about once a month. The turn siginals need a relay I think. But hey, it's a Beemer and we don't use signals!

Pros: All new ignition system from 123igintion (controlled with bluetooth iphone, way cool!!) new plugs and wires and coil. Rebuilt the weber 32/36, but it does not like idle well when cold over night. Soon as it's up to temp, no issues. Not sure what the issue is. Total brake replacement. New Brake calipers, pads, drums, rear cylinders, and some lines. New master cylinder still in box. Rear diff fluid changed. Recaro sport seats. Reupholstered rear seat. Stripped all old carpet out, painted floor with POR15, patched a few small holes, laid down sound deadening, and cut my own carpet. Looks good, but not perfect (remember, this is my daily driver). Rear panels refinished.

Have but not installed: Rear bumper needs to be installed. I have new front door panels, but have not installed them (just the wood part). Original center console needs to be put together. The ashtray parts.

I still have the original seats but they are pretty bad. More stuff too that I have most likely forgot to add. This is a great car to tool around with and still be able to drive day to day. It won't win any prizes yet, but it will turn heads.

So there it is. This is also not the original paint. Sometime in the past, someone painted it Barney the dinosaur purple. Then it was painted close to the original color. But like I said, the paint is pretty rough. I also have the ruby tip antenna. I forgot to put it on for the pictures.

Please ask any and all questions  directly to me : james dot viars at comcast dot net. This is the fastest way for me to communicate. 

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

had a few emails and locals with some questions:

Yes, the heater does work!

I do have the original antenna, But normally drive without it as it would be easily stolen.

The tires have a good amount of tread.

No, the Hella lights are not wired up. I have wires inside the engine bay, but thats where I stopped.

The dark spots are spray paint where the car paint was bare to the metal. 

I do believe that is the original head liner. It's got a few stains, but does not sag except at the corners where it goes down the pillars. 

Had a few local lookers too ask whether or not I really do daily drive this. Yes! Every day to work, and it did suck when it was 95 degrees a few weeks ago, lol. Once it warms up, it idles just fine. I probably need to adjust the idle mixture again. 

No, the price is NOT firm. I had to start somewhere. Plus, I ordered my Wranger as a 2018, so it's going to be about a month before I get it. I traded in my Z4 Coupe, and this is my DD, so I priced it higher. But hey, Ill take it!

Edited by Kostenfalle

• 2 weeks later...