• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original paint refresh

joekitt

Joe

thanks for the info - looks really good. I am planning on ordering a bunch of polishing supplies soon

inwas looking at either The Chemical Guys stuff or M105 and M205 Mcguires but what you achieved with the Griots looks stunning. 

how do you like the polisher? I am also on the hunt for one as well. Was looking at either the Griots or the Porta Cable. Not sure which one to get. Amazon reviews seem to put both neck and neck 

1971 Nevada 
Casey Warren
Web //  www.mindcastle.co

19 hours ago, caseywarren said:

Was looking at either the Griots or the Porta Cable. Not sure which one to get.

I would recommend the Griot's unit, since they sell the complete line of pads and associated products.  The adjustable D handle is nice.  Mine is five years old, so slightly different than the current model.  I have been happy with it.

I also have a Porter Cable random orbit sander that I bought fifteen years ago and it is still going strong.  It is a totally different animal than the one they sell today.  It even has a little sticker that says Made in the USA.  (rah!! rah!!)

The white foam pad that PC sells (with the plastic disc glued to it) is total crap.  That disc cuts into the foam in no time.  The hook and loop pads that Griot's uses are the way to go.

I would suggest easing into the grittiness and starting with a less aggressive compound.  Go coarser as needed.  Be careful of the ridges and corners.  It is easy to burn through those areas.  (please don't ask me how I know)

I have recently become a huge fan of clay bars, for washing the car.  

Meguiar's Number Seven is excellent for thirsty old single stage paints.

Speaking of Original Paint Refresh... although slightly off topic-- I recently used some #7 on my old Suburban, which has never been resprayed, after a wash/clay bar.  I did it all by hand and did not use polishing compound.  I did finally wax it for the first time in the twenty-two years I have owned it.  This is the pretty side

003.thumb.JPG.6cb55e04633caef2b1b39a8ca9c6b6ec.JPG

My 2002 was resprayed before my time.  They did something wrong and the paint has very fine crazing.  I thought it was scratched and spent a ton of time leaning on the polisher, but have not gotten past a satin finish.  Oh well, the paint matches the frosted aluminum trim.

One more product I will push is Duragloss Aquawax #951.  I don't usually seek out such things, but my cousin sent me a bottle for Christmas.  It is not a replacement for traditional wax, but a nice addition to it.  I really like what it does for glass; not the windshield, I have been told, since the wipers may chatter.  It smells delicious too.  

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with the Porter Cable - as a wood worker I love their tools - the Griots product line has been great - big fan of everything they sell - once you start getting their catalog you will be hooked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indy02

Love this thread!  +1 on the Griot's products and Mint's recommendation of the Meguiar's #7... that stuff is very good for old, dry, single stage paints... it will work wonders.  Tom, that suburban looks AWESOME

Image result for meguiars #7 show car glaze

Here's one of my favorite shots from a MidAmerica Tech session a couple years ago.  Wash it, clay it, then select the correct polish.  Check the deep shine that came from a crispy, oxidized, original paint job... miracles do happen.

59a5899162ee7_polishedpaint.thumb.jpg.dadc2202ddd434e054298aa0af54cf10.jpg

sorry for the sideways pic.. too lazy to fix it :)

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool