• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIMs question

Stuart

The rims you see on the 73 Agave below are 4.5x13 with a nice set of hubcaps.  Does BMW make this same rim for the same hubcaps pictured in a 5" or 5.5"? 

Just want to confirm before I start looking for some.  She needs just a little more rubber on the road.

14022261_10210117319593172_1199822460717797381_n.jpg.9c912b5b4e84e560cfaceb6bcb8d9dfe.jpg

2412.thumb.jpeg.4d6497482e01f6412fa5c7fd3b4d2cf2.jpeg

Yep..Roundie tii's (and ti's) came with 5j x 13 steel wheels that accept the Roundie style full wheel covers.  Don't think they're available from BMW any more, but they come up for sale on the FAQ and E-bay periodically.  And if you get lucky, or if this was 30 years ago, there were Opel station wagons from the early-mid 70s that used the same wheel, and were readily available in junkyards.

One other thought...check your local junkyard for Chevette wheels.  IIRC they were made in Germany by Lemmtez, were 5 x 13 and I think had the ears that gripped the wheel covers.  They should be easier to find than Opel wheels.  The only difference were that they had slots rather than being plain.

Happy scrounging

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Both Lemmerz and Kronprinz produced BMW OEM 5 x 13 steel rims that accept the full wheel covers, most having been produced from 1969 through 1973.  I haven't yet seen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see, a version of the 5 x 13 manufactured by Solrad (a.k.a., SRD).

See this forum's fabulous Wheels Database for more details:

Although there are probably plenty of these rims out there, they're not common in the for-sale market and asking prices generally range from $400 to $1,000 for a set of four -- I'm not certain the $1,000 sets actually sell! 

By the by, the upgrade of 4.5" rims to 5" "tii rims" became popular as soon as the tii's reached these shores in late 1971 (the ti never officially made it to the U.S.)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

No, those are part of the optional (but rare) Swamp Buggy package offered exclusively in Louisiana and Florida...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

I've also heard that there were some 5.5s made as well but not very many.

You're welcome, Stuart,

The only BMW factory 5.5" x 13" steel rim came on the factory turbo and that is of the styled steel type: it doesn't accept a wheel cover, just a small center cap (it's strictly a square taillight style).

If you want a 5.5" genuine period rim for an '02, and don't want to venture into "square taillight territory" (a.k.a., post-'73), there were LOTS of aftermarket alloys produced between '68 and '73 for '02's: BWA, Campagnolo, Cromodora, Ronal, etc.  You might want to take a look at the wheels database, filtered for 5.5" x 13" rims.  Although some, such as e21 "turbine" rims, might be later than '73, such a search will, no doubt, bring up some of the big aftermarket names.

Regards,

Steve

Steve -

Thanks.  We are set on keeping the "BMW hubcap" look for the car.  So the hunt is on for a set of 5" rims.  So far nothing has turned up.  Need to find a tii guy that changed out his original rims for something else.  

Stuart

If/when you are performing a search for the parts, be sure to look for "wheels."  The older guys that probably have these don't call them rimz!  ;)

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

3 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

If/when you are performing a search for the parts, be sure to look for "wheels."  The older guys that probably have these don't call them rimz!  

I'm old, John, and I was taught, in the '60's and '70's, that:

rim + tire = wheel

So I thought it was the younger guys that referred to rims as "wheels"!  Maybe it's a regional thing....?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Since landing on these shores from the UK I've had to learn a new car language.

Whoever said "two countries separated by a common language' was spot on.

Should I be steering the car with my steering rim?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

4 hours ago, 02Les said:

Since landing on these shores from the UK I've had to learn a new car language.

Whoever said "two countries separated by a common language' was spot on.

Should I be steering the car with my steering rim?

Of course not, Les!

A rim is metal

A tire is rubber

And thus a steering wheel is....metal and plastic, metal and wood, or not....

But, a steering wheel is the whole kit and caboodle, much like a wheel that comprises a rim and a tire.  It's...really not too clear...?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

On 8/28/2017 at 11:56 PM, Conserv said:

Both Lemmerz and Kronprinz produced BMW OEM 5 x 13 steel rims that accept the full wheel covers, most having been produced from 1969 through 1973.  I haven't yet seen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see, a version of the 5 x 13 manufactured by Solrad (a.k.a., SRD).

See this forum's fabulous Wheels Database for more details:

Although there are probably plenty of these rims out there, they're not common in the for-sale market and asking prices generally range from $400 to $1,000 for a set of four -- I'm not certain the $1,000 sets actually sell! 

By the by, the upgrade of 4.5" rims to 5" "tii rims" became popular as soon as the tii's reached these shores in late 1971 (the ti never officially made it to the U.S.)

Regards,

Steve

Steve...I was looking through my wheel stash and couldn't find this wheel in the data base.  The name on the wheel is "SUDRA".  Has anyone heard of this manufacture before?

wheel1.jpg

wheel.jpg

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777