• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIMs question

Stuart

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Steve...I was looking through my wheel stash and couldn't find this wheel in the data base.  The name on the wheel is "SUDRA".  Has anyone heard of this manufacture before?

wheel1.jpg

wheel.jpg

Sudrad is a wheel manufacturer.  Perhaps there is a "D" under that rust spot!  They apparently made wheels for M-B and Porsche 356s.

http://www.suedrad.de/produkte.html

Taken over by mefro Räderwerk Ronneburg GmbH in 2000, and change of name into today's mefro wheels GmbH with headquarters in Rohrdorf.

http://www.mefro-wheels.com/english/company/history.html

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Thanks John....looks like I was missing the "D" when doing my search.  Maybe this should be added to the wheel database.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

Steve...I was looking through my wheel stash and couldn't find this wheel in the data base.  The name on the wheel is "SUDRA".  Has anyone heard of this manufacture before?

wheel1.jpg

wheel.jpg

I suspect, Mike, that Solrad, SRD, and SUDRAD are various marks of a single company, the third steel rim supplier to BMW, behind Lemmerz and Kronprinz.  I've tried -- unsuccessfully -- Googling Solrad and SRD, but if the company was acquired, merged, or dissolved long before the Internet age, there may be little trace of it on the Web.  Solrad sounds like "Sun Wheel", SUDRAD sounds like "Southern Wheel", but I've also been assuming it's a German manufacturer, like Lemmerz and Kronprinz.

Best regards,

Steve

EDIT - Yay: John appears to have solved much of the mystery!

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Under the "SRD" heading in the wheels database is a rim identical in model number to Mike's:  13423

The single photo I have of the rim is fairly low resolution and what appeared to be SOLRAD may well be SUDRAD.  Either way, I'm more confident than ever -- given the identical model numbers -- that SRD, SUDRAD, and SOLRAD (if that's not a mis-reading) are one and the same German rim manufacturer.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)