• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Texas 02ers

landon

I sincerely hope all is with the Texas group. I lived in Houston many years and enjoyed the 02 community there and I'm sickened at the footage I see. My brother in law has lost his house and 2 cars in Bellaire. Life is foremost but property loss is devastating also... I'm quite certain that I would have lost my 02 in this storm if i lived where i did.

• Like 4

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Thanks for reaching out to us Texas 02rs.  Just another example of how awesome the 02 community is! 

The Austin area was not hit hard as we only took on the high winds and anywhere from 3-7 inches of rain.  Houston is a whole nother story...  I'm sure you all have seen the news coverage.  I've been in contact with 3 of the Houston 02rs and as of Sunday they were all ok.  One of the 02rs was flooded either last year or the year before and had his 02 lifted up prior to the rains hitting the area. 

Thanks again for your post and concern!

• Like 1

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

Thanks for thinking of us, Landon.  With the storm moving off, taking the rains with it, we can begin the heavy lifting.  The amount of water in Houston is biblical in proportion...

We are extremely grateful for the massive amount of assistance from the Feds, other states, and the unaffected areas of this great state.  Our Texas grocery chain, HEB, was mobilized into the hurricane's ground-zero one day after landfall... I love these people.

Image result for heb disaster relief unit

Here are the trucks poised to move into the area... These folks saw the forecast, knew what would happen, prepared, and MOBILIZED.  I don't know who runs that outfit, but I want to be part of that team.  Awesome people. I won't shop anywhere else.

Image result for heb disaster relief convoy

Check out these AMAZING people from Louisiana !!!!  The Cajun Navy... you guys are freaking awesome. They stopped their lives and rolled into Houston to extract flood victims with their own, personal equipment. Heroes... everyone of them. Send $$ to them...

https://www.facebook.com/LaCajunNavy/

Image result for cajun navy

Pray for us,  Donate to your choice of aid agency. Send a message to someone that might need an encouraging word.  Lots of FAQ members in Houston... we are thinking of you.

Ed Z

• Like 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Very grateful to see these pictures of the Cajun Navy and HEB support team.

We have been pounded in Houston, our home is only two blocks from the Buffalo Bayou and several houses got water on Sunday night. My 02 has been on high heels now in case the water would come closer. So far so good.

At this moment the sun comes through in our part of Houston, hopefully some water will evaporate. At least it gives some warmth to all of us after four days of clouds and pouring rain. Tonight we hope and pray the Addicks and Barker reservoir resides to avoid additional stress on retention walls. All have been under stress for days now. Those engineers who designed these reservoirs can be very proud on their achievements. We have homes in our neighborhood that are in the 500 year flood plan that got flooded without those reservoirs we would all be worse off. So far so good and we are not out of the woods yet. Seems like most 02'ers in Houston are fine and soon we will unite to cruise along the roads in our beloved cars in the great spirit of Texas.

• Like 3

JP

Jean Paul,

Pleased to hear you and possessions are safe, so far.

Fingers and everything else crossed that the worst has past.

Stay safe,

Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

9 hours ago, zinz said:

Our Texas grocery chain, HEB, was mobilized into the hurricane's ground-zero one day after landfall... I love these people.

I miss HEB's "Wedding" sausages. Nothing comparable in my part of Tennessee.

Les 

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Hang in the JP!  Glad to hear your safe!! 

Mad respect for one of our Austin 02rs as him and his buddy loaded up their lifted 4x4 truck with a weeks provisions and took their boat to Houston to assist in evacuation efforts.  

FB_IMG_1504028624970.jpg

Screenshot_2017-08-29-12-46-24 (2).png

Edited by Big_Lebowski
spelling
  • Like 2

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

Hey Guys -

So far, so good.  House is dry, but no power.  Staying with friends right now.  Crowded - 12 people in one house.  But, we have power, hot food and good company.

One thing that is under-recognized.  The Army Corps of Engineers (Galveston District) is doing a great job with the flood control system.  It would have been much much worse without their help.  At the same time - the level of devastation, especially around Buffalo Bayou, is heartbreaking. 

My suggestion - wait on trying to help.  The aid is pouring in right now, so fast that people can't actually keep up.  Wait until we are no longer the headline - that's when the help will really be needed.

This will be years of cleanup.

• Like 2

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Best of luck to all of you in Texas. My brother lives just east of Baton Rouge and it's been nearly one year since they had severe rainstorms that caused the Amite River to spread quite far from its normal boundaries. My brother and his wife were aided by the Cajun Navy when their home filled up with dank waters. (over 5 feet of water inside their home) Recently, they moved back into their nearly-renovated home. They are adding a long list of finishing touches to their "new" home. I worry about every tropical storm along the Gulf coast. I recall the hurricanes of the 60s and 70s when I lived in Alexandria, LA. We never took a knockout blow in central LA, but there were some very high winds and incredible deluges of rain then... So, keep your 2002s dry for future action!!

By the way, please patronize your very best corporate citizens. 'Mattress Mac' comes to mind.... Also, we are friends with one of the owners of Whataburger. As a Texas-based corporation, Whataburger is directly impacted and is reaching out to help Texas flood victims. Also, a salute to the Cajun Navy and all of the other grassroot volunteers!

Edited by Jim_75Sahara
  • Like 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Quasi-relocated back to my house.  Got window AC unit, internet and phone charger running off of my generator.  If power doesn't come back today, will consider adding the fridge tomorrow.

I would think they are close.   Neighborhood is surrounded by businesses with power, but our neighborhood is dark.  Very frustrating.

I am thankful for what I have though.  I gave a friend a box of lawn bags, as he was heading to a boat that was going to take him to his house, so he can salvage whatever he can.  There is easily 5' of water in his house.

Finally - we've formed a neighborhood watch group that stands at the entrances to the neighborhood at night, trying to dissuade looters.  The first night, we think we scared off a few.  Last night was pretty quiet though.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

On 9/1/2017 at 1:36 PM, Stevenc22 said:

I am okay and i think John Jones is okay based on his last FB post. John Rosaldo got his house flooded but his 02 made it from my last talk to him.

John text me yesterday to tell me his 02 was toast.  His house was flooded with 7 foot of water.  Feel so bad for John as this is the second flood that he's had to endure.