• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This place is such a great resource. I'm sorry if this has been covered before but... I do not see anyone really using these foglight brackets that attach to the bumper mounts.  Is there a reason? Do they not fit? Bad light placement? Or if you do have them on your car can you post some pics? I'm having a tough time finding any info on them to see if they will work or not and where the lights will sit. Etc.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. 

IMG_3467.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3469.JPG

IMG_3470.JPG

Those are modern reproductions of fog lamp brackets from the 1920s/30s and are often seen on antique cars of that era.  They're meant to be clamped to bumper brackets, and are very sturdy--no shake or shimmy with them.

If they'll fit on your bumper bracket without hitting the grille (easier on a '73 with its longer brackets) go for it.  

mike

PS--please share your source for those nice chrome ones.  Most I've seen are either raw metal (they're iron castings) or painted black.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hey Mike yes I noticed that on BarneyT car that the bumper mount seemed longer from the picture.  I have a euro 1976 so it has the bent / twisted bumper mounts.  I was hoping they would work because I didn't want to poke holes in my euro bumpers. I wonder if anyone had any luck with a late model such as mine.  

Also  I saw these no drill mounts as a secondary option but I worry they won't be as stable.  

IMG_3474.PNG

Another don't-touch-the-bumper option is through-the-grille mounts.  Several parties reproduce these once-available-from-BMW parts:  others here will know Pierre's member name; Uli, who is active on the German forum, used to have a version.

On square taillights, you must cut away a small portion of the plastic side grille's slat reinforcement because it would interfere with the auxiliary light bracket.  And...very slim auxiliary lights work best with these mounts: they don't protrude far from the grille.  Lastly, lightweight auxiliary lights work best: heavier lights might require "steadies" to prevent vibration.

Here's Cibie 45 Series driving lights on my '76.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_9573.JPG

IMG_9574.JPG

• Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 hours ago, HBChris said:

I had those bumper mounting brackets and the bumper flexes too much to keep them from shaking.

Ahh... yes that's what I was worried about. I'm going to take a gamble and pull the trigger on the bumper brackets.  When I get them I'll post pics of how I make out with the late model mounts for everyone.  Thanks for all the input and help everyone.  

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to send out a quick updated pics in case anyone is wondering how this turned out... Installing the fog light mounts on the "twisted" bumper brackets is not ideal as they mount in lets say not the typical vertical way they were classically designed to. They mount inwards on an angle. That said I don't mind it and like how it turned out. My mechanic had a great idea to rotate the lens so they line up correctly ie. "TOP" lens indication is at the "TOP" and the lens lines run vertically as they are supposed to. Be your own judge but it works for me and my build. Thanks to everyone who offered tips / advice / help. Have a look...

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 2

if you like the fog light look, then there are some great examples.  If you are looking for better headlights I converted to LED and they are amazing.  There is a lot of smack talk out there, but they are great. I got a really really good wiring harness, with ceramic plugs for the headlights, and relays for like 7$. And a good set of lenses and led headlights from Amazon. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002