• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another turn signal cry for help

bahllr

So I've made some headway on my 68 1600 and it is now running with brakes!

im chasing down a number of electrical issues to the best of my ability and my turn signals are one of them. Here is where I think I stand.

1. Emergency flashers work and all four corners flash so bulbs are good, wiring is good, grounds are good and flasher relay is working. 

2. If I touch my test light to the green and yellow wire on the turn signal switch it pulses when the emergency flashers are on.

3. Tested continuity between relay, emergency flashers and turn signal switch for yellow/ green wire successfully.

4. The pic below shows the current switch wiring. Am I missing a green power wire to the p blade in the center that comes from ignition...? 

despite this I get nothing when I use the stalk turn signal. No sound from the relay and no lights. This makes me think the stalk is the issue but I would appreciate those with much more experience let me know if I have missed something.

thanks,

ben

IMG_0294.JPG

From that photo it looks like the switch has fallen apart ! that looks like the bottom of the switch where the connections go I don't see a switch , it should be crimped around that Bakelite base .

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Awesome looking car!

Good point and sorry for missing that detail. This is how I found it when pulling the covers off the steering column but even after I snap it into the base of the turn signal stalk...I still get nothing.

i just pulled it out of the bad to get the photo.

Those switches do wear out internally--you should be able to use any turn signal switch from a roundie that has all the wiper controls (on/off & speed) on the instrument binnacle--i.e. until the model 71 cars.  It should have a jelly-bean shaped knob on the end. 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks Mike. While I keep my eyes open for a replacement, is it possible to recondition these? Seems like it should just be a metal tab connecting two electrical connections. Almost surprising that it would go bad.

Has anyone refurbished these before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk