• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few interior questions

Datsuntravis

Hey guys,

I'm working on a few things currently.  I'm wanting to replace the carpet on my 76.  I've seen 1 piece molded and a 9? piece set.  Any thoughts on what is better/more desirable?

Also, does anyone have a preferred source for headliner fabric?

Lastly, had anyone removed the original molded insulation and replaced with my a modern alternative like dynamat or anything like that?

im open to recommendations.

travis 

the only moulded sets available are the plush, fuzzy style carpet....based on personal experience, they aren't easy to install and then look good...personally, i think the cut & sewn sets look much nicer in any o2 and are a heck of a lot easier to install

you might check with blunttech.com for the headliner

i would recommend you leave the original "moulded insulation" unless you suspect rust underneath...it's by far the best heat shield/insulation you can have....and it's a tremendous amount of work to remove it

Hey Travis,

First I would look to Esty, a frequent FAQ contributor for the carpets, she offer a lot of great choices although they are not moulded but more along the lines of a factory OEM style, about a 11 piece set I recall.

Many use a stock headliner but their availability  seems to have been an issue recently but I am sure others will be able to weigh in on a recommendation. I am searching for an alternate choice  here as my car is about to go to the upholster in a couple of weeks.

Personally I did remove the factory insulation from the cabin side firewall and replaced it with dyna mat. Here is what I did....

Its more of a sound barrier than a heat shield though.

hth....Mike 

11 hours ago, joysterm said:

Hey Travis,

First I would look to Esty, a frequent FAQ contributor for the carpets, she offer a lot of great choices although they are not moulded but more along the lines of a factory OEM style, about a 11 piece set I recall.

Many use a stock headliner but their availability  seems to have been an issue recently but I am sure others will be able to weigh in on a recommendation. I am searching for an alternate choice  here as my car is about to go to the upholster in a couple of weeks.

Personally I did remove the factory insulation from the cabin side firewall and replaced it with dyna mat. Here is what I did....

Its more of a sound barrier than a heat shield though.

hth....Mike 

+1 just get your kit from Etsy.  There is a reason everybody does because she knows her stuff..... cold.  

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

First, yes, I can't recommend Esty's carpets more strongly!  I have them for my '73.

Second, all square taillight cars came from the factory with "one-piece" molded carpets, whereas the round taillights came from the factory with the "many-piece" carpets.

So if you were trying to stay factory stock with a square taillight, you would want a molded carpet.  But, as Esty pointed out, you wouldn't find molded carpets in any material close to the original.  So there's the problem: you must choose between (a.) original molded design in a very non-orginal material, or (b.) non-original many-piece design with materials much closer to the originals.  Esty only makes the many-piece style, but she sometimes has -- it varies by time -- carpeting extremely close to the original materials.

If you're a nut, and are trying to keep a '76 very factory stock, you might embark on a quest to find a very good original carpet.  If you're not that nutty, get an Esty many-piece carpet set and don't look back!

Me?  My '76 retains its original carpeting in excellent, albeit slightly-faded condition.  The square taillight carpeting was never of a particularly high quality.  I had higher priorities, ca. 1981, however, when the combination of cheap original materials and fading made it look a bit tired, so I never replaced it.  I recently had it professionally cleaned and it's ready for its second 40 years!

Below, the carpeting as it came out of the car for the first time in 40 years.  I can't, however, find a photo of it post-cleaning.  The second photo shows the date stamp: April 12, 1976 ("12.4. 76").

Regards,

Steve

IMG_4055.JPG

IMG_7035.JPG

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

A question for Esty.

Would be possible to create a "hybrid" carpet set for the square tails? Maybe larger pieces for a more of a "molded" look? Hide some of the seams beneath seats etc. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

9 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

A question for Esty.

Would be possible to create a "hybrid" carpet set for the square tails? Maybe larger pieces for a more of a "molded" look? Hide some of the seams beneath seats etc. 

not by me...watch this video for what's required...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvGRsM5Z2P8