• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another mis-represented '02

02Les

VIN 2763226 signals a January 1973 tii to me, Les.  I started to examine the car when it was first listed, noted the square taillight front end, complete with relay rack, square taillight rear end, and the lack of a firewall notch -- this is much later than that vague period during the summer of 1972 when aluminum intake runners came, went, came again, etc. -- indicating even the firewall was not original to a January 1973 tii, but the Iceland green was too much for me and I had to look away....

Clearly owned by a BMW enthusiast, this car has stories to tell.  The above discrepancies, plus the placement of the coil and windshield washer reservoir, suggest to me a 1975-76 chassis donor.  The engine could well be number 2763226.  But, otherwise, there might not be a lot of round taillight tii left!  I would likely value it as a 1975-76 chassis with a tii engine.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It doesn't look like it has the tii air box attachment points on the body, either.  Later cars with tii drive trains can be cool...no need to be shady about it, you know?

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

5 hours ago, Driv3r said:

US 73's didn't come with wood cluster? Euro 73's come with wood cluster.

Wood cluster on Euro '73 ONLY if built after end Aug '73 which is the beginning of the "model 73" '02.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, FunElan said:

I know the seller - I'm not sure about his tech-savvy skills. He is a very nice guy. This car I haven't seen this car in person yet, but if anyone has any serious questions I can try to connect you to Winger. 

-Matt

I asked for the chassis VIN via the Ebay auction, but got no response.

Here's another of his '02 auctions, where he uses the VIN on the door rather than the correct VIN on the chassis. He's dabbled in a few '02s..........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-BMW-2002-2-door-coupe/272851742543?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

My guess is that at some point in this car's life it was a rusty or wrecked '73 tii and the drive train was used on a solid square tail light car.  I've seen two like this in person over the years.  Usually they keep the chassis VIN in place but maybe they figured the "tii" VIN would be worth more.  Doesn't mean it was the Seller who did it but I'd make sure it was currently registered where it is and/or if you need a VIN verification in the state its going to.  Could be tricky.

12 hours ago, FunElan said:

I know the seller - I'm not sure about his tech-savvy skills. He is a very nice guy. This car I haven't seen this car in person yet, but if anyone has any serious questions I can try to connect you to Winger. 

-Matt

have him post a pic of the real chassis VIN stamped on the body......and the one on the steering column cover.

and the one on the title.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

1 hour ago, mlytle said:

have him post a pic of the real chassis VIN stamped on the body......and the one on the steering column cover.

and the one on the title.

Honestly its just that easy unless you are doing something shady or trying to hide something (or both), I hate to say it bur more often 'shady' is the rule and not the exception these days (not only in car selling matters).

11 hours ago, markmac said:

Honestly its just that easy unless you are doing something shady or trying to hide something (or both), I hate to say it bur more often 'shady' is the rule and not the exception these days (not only in car selling matters).

I don't think the seller is trying to hide anything, I think he's just not the most tech-savvy person. Emailing him now. 

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167