• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM vs Repro Fenders (restoration design)

69NEWCLASSNH

Does anyone have experience with OEM fenders vs the ones from Restoration Design?  

I have three choices, buy brand new OEM fenders from a local guy at twice the price of Restoration Design

Repair my fenders (swiss cheese bottoms)

Buy restoration design fenders.

Are the reproduction fenders the same quality as OEM?

I can tell you first hand that the quality of the restoration design fenders is not there.. I gave up on them and went OEM and the fenders went on with minimal fuss VS not ever getting RD to fit... 

To say I'm salty about it is an understatement... 

But that being said, you get what you pay for. 

Ted 

1971 BMW 2002 Sahara

I ordered one of the reproduction fenders from W&N. Probably the same ones ordered by Restoration Design. I had no problem with quality or install. Our cars are old and its overall integrity may have changed over the years (as I often tell my wife about myself...), so your experience may vary whether you order OEM or reproduction. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Fwiw, the fenders from the dealership are made by a 3rd party, as well.

Last I knew, they fit ok, but they were not BMW quality.  More 'decent aftermarket' quality.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

58 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

I ordered one of the reproduction fenders from W&N. Probably the same ones ordered by Restoration Design. I had no problem with quality or install. Our cars are old and its overall integrity may have changed over the years (as I often tell my wife about myself...), so your experience may vary whether you order OEM or reproduction. 

Cheers! 

I also had a pair of W & N fenders fitted along with their nose panel. Not perfect, but no great problem considering my local bodyshop had never seen an '02 before!

DSCN2201sm.JPG.33c440c3d587fcd1f911d1663d39a2f3.JPG

DSCN2202sm.JPG.4d0f39a22c1cdff35d8e29feac3341b8.JPG

DSCN2456sm.JPG.00662bb3238eb1d8d271cf559d85cba3.JPG

DSCN2457sm.JPG.265df15fadf740d947dff44d822d2eba.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I had a pair of NOS OEM fenders installed on the '76, as part of its big re-paint.  The body shop said they both went on without fuss.  They weren't really old -- white, not orange stickers -- but my general sense is that you improve your odds of a fuss-less installation with OEM fenders.  No guarantees, just better odds...

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)