• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baur/targa door seals/rubber

2002FjordBaur

Hi all,

A search didn't come up with anything so...

Just discovered the door seal rubbers for the Baur/targa variant is only available for the RH door (and it aint cheap).

I'm getting my car restored by a UK restorer who knows his 02's but hasn't that much experience with the rare UK targa.

I can get a RH seal from W&N but what to do for the other side??

Dont suppose there is anyway to make a standard saloon seal fit the Targa?

I appreciate the targa door opening is a slightly different shape, but just wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience?

Any info much appreciated!

cheers

Franc

I'm curious as to what the difference between the Targa & Saloon seals is. The L & R seals for the Touring are the same part # as the saloon, and they fit the Touring door opening ok. As the Touring and Targa have a similar shape door opening, I wonder if maybe the profile, for whatever reason, is different. It is was just a matter of length, there are ways and means.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

So as far as i know the Targa screen angle is more acute than the saloon which means the roof line is lower and the door glass is a slightly different shape (apparently the Touring also has a different screen, roof line than either the saloon/targa?).

I've never actually measured but my restorer did today and he said my targa's B post trim is 2cm shorter than the saloon.

Also, the targa front quarter window hasn't a frame and so i would imagine there is a need for a thicker rubber profile along the leading edge of the glass to seal properly?

But having said all that, i have never heard of anyone attempting (or failing) to fit a saloon rubber in a targa door frame - so it may be possible? 

Edited by erasmo

17 hours ago, erasmo said:

I've never actually measured but my restorer did today and he said my targa's B post trim is 2cm shorter than the saloon.

The Touring's B-pillar chrome trim is circa 10~12mm longer than the saloon.

17 hours ago, erasmo said:

Also, the targa front quarter window hasn't a frame and so i would imagine there is a need for a thicker rubber profile along the leading edge of the glass to seal properly?

I never realised that Targa does not have the front quarter windows until now.......amazing. Where do you flick your cigarette ash?:huh::)

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

5 minutes ago, 02Les said:

The Touring's B-pillar chrome trim is circa 10~12mm longer than the saloon.

I never realised that Targa does not have the front quarter windows until now.......amazing. Where do you flick your cigarette ash?:huh:

Straight out the roof, surely? :rolleyes:

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

. Where do you flick your cigarette ash?

In the ash tray.  In the southwest where it is dry, along the roadways you can see burn areas where stupid smokers think it's ok to use the window.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 4 years later...
On 10/3/2017 at 3:11 AM, 2002FjordBaur said:

Hi all,

A search didn't come up with anything so...

Just discovered the door seal rubbers for the Baur/targa variant is only available for the RH door (and it aint cheap).

I'm getting my car restored by a UK restorer who knows his 02's but hasn't that much experience with the rare UK targa.

I can get a RH seal from W&N but what to do for the other side??

Dont suppose there is anyway to make a standard saloon seal fit the Targa?

I appreciate the targa door opening is a slightly different shape, but just wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience?

Any info much appreciated!

cheers

Franc

Hey,  I have a 73 Baur with dodgy door seals…wondering how did you go? Your solution will be my solution too it seems

Thanks