• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Ignition Switch/Lock/Tumbler/Door Locks

BenjaminSmith

Hello Saul,

Interesting, and thank you for responding.  Can you tell me more about them?  What condition are they in?  Do the door handles come with gaskets?  Can you quote mileage from the cars from which the sets were removed?  Given the price is considerably more than US sets that have sold on this site I am reluctant to plunk down that much money without a little more information and/or photographs.  Hope you understand :)

Best regards,

Ben Smith

Cadence

www.cadencewinery.com

Few Washington winemakers so convincingly capture a specific site in the bottle year after year than Ben Smith.”

-Sean Sullivan

Seattle Met Magazine, September 2015

As with any parted out car or used part in general, I use the mileage as a rough estimate for number of cycles a part may have been put through, and therefore a gauge of the potential wear and life left in the part.  Pull a part from a car with 86k on the clock and I have far more confidence in its life than a part pulled from a car with 226k on the odometer.  Mine has 226k.  I could have pulled the lockset at 225k and sold it to someone as being in good condition only to have it fail in 1000 miles.  I realize there is no way to perfectly predict lifespan of used equipment but what other measure do I have?

18 hours ago, BenjaminSmith said:

Hello Saul,

Interesting, and thank you for responding.  Can you tell me more about them?  What condition are they in?  Do the door handles come with gaskets?  Can you quote mileage from the cars from which the sets were removed?  Given the price is considerably more than US sets that have sold on this site I am reluctant to plunk down that much money without a little more information and/or photographs.  Hope you understand :)

Best regards,

Ben Smith

Cadence

www.cadencewinery.com

Few Washington winemakers so convincingly capture a specific site in the bottle year after year than Ben Smith.”

-Sean Sullivan

Seattle Met Magazine, September 2015

Hi Benjamin,

I sent PM already

Saul

I have a steering column with one key, never been apart.  don't have any idea how many cycles it may have been thru. That cycle data is stored in a chip inside the keyed switch, which as you know resets if the switch is taken apart for any reason and the chip self destructs to resemle dirt and dust found in and under the dash boards of all 2002's .  the modular key switch switch chip readers were germany only, dealer only tools and were all destroyed at the end of the 2002 run.  Although i have heard there may be one working unit remaining at the bottom of the Rhine River in a sealed lead container.

If youre interested, want to take a chance that is, on the keyed steering column, pm or email me to discusss details

Gale H

douggaleh at hotmail dot com

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

16 minutes ago, 71bmr02 said:

I have a steering column with one key, never been apart.  don't have any idea how many cycles it may have been thru. That cycle data is stored in a chip inside the keyed switch, which as you know resets if the switch is taken apart for any reason and the chip self destructs to resemle dirt and dust found in and under the dash boards of all 2002's .  the modular key switch switch chip readers were germany only, dealer only tools and were all destroyed at the end of the 2002 run.  Although i have heard there may be one working unit remaining at the bottom of the Rhine River in a sealed lead container.

If youre interested, want to take a chance that is, on the keyed steering column, pm or email me to discusss details

Gale H

douggaleh at hotmail dot com

Sounds like something straight out of Wagner's Der RIng des Nibelungen!

I am set, thank you, and about to close the thread.