• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What transmission oil for 5 speed?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

02SDtour.jpg

as for 17mm allan wrench, i had to buy one in my local tools place and then cut it to about an inch in length. Then use a 17mm wrench to hold it in place. I believe there is a special tool that is designed for the job and www.bavauto.com or www.bmpd.com should have it.

steve

Guest Anonymous

I bought Castrol Hypoxy C Gear Oil 80W-90.

Is this the right stuff to be putting in.

I keep on hearing not to use "Hypoid oil"

what is that stuff did I get the wrong thing?

TIA

Also I need help getting the 17mm recessed allen

plug hole open, it's stuck.

Guest Anonymous

My experience with the 320i 5-speed was that it shifted worse with Redline MTL than it did with regular 90wt gear oil. I suspect that this is because the lower viscosity and greater lubricity of the MTL did not provide enough friction for the synchros. I switched to Redline MT90, which is a thicker synthetic gear lube, and the tranny shifts nicely now. Unlike the 2002 4-speeds, the 320i 5-speeds have "moly" synchros, which just have a rough surface on their engagement faces rather than teeth like conventional Borg-Warner style synchros. My crackpot theory is that when these moly synchros are a little worn, the MTL reduces their grip and thus prevents the desired gear from spinning up to speed quickly, thus slowing down the shift and giving a notchy feel to the tranny.

Just my $0.02

Colin

Guest Anonymous

Just like the 'late- early' 2002 4- speeds, the 'early' 5- speeds have a mix- n- match approach. Some have texture, some have the annular cones. Go figger.

Toby