• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small BBs and small cylinder piece

graymustang

Hey guys,

I started taking apart my 1973 BMW 2002 after it has been sitting in my garage for around six years now. I tried to turn it on, but gas came out of the top of the carburetor, so I decided to take it apart. It is a Weber 32/36, so I bought a rebuild kit and got to work taking it apart and cleaning it. I had taken off the top part, and I was now cleaning the bottom part when I turned it upside down (in hindsight, that probably wasn't the smartest decision), and two small BBs came out. One of them was lost coming out.IMG_2159.thumb.JPG.a6a3ebcad05d0630225e64c68e419d98.JPGIMG_2161.thumb.JPG.b1bd6bce034a6da165b9aba2a8d93c32.JPG

When I was digging deeper into the carb, another small piece came out, this time a small cylinder piece as shown above. It has a large end on top and a smaller hole in the bottom. I have searched many websites but haven't heard of any pieces like this. The diagram to this carb doesn't show anything either. I have no knowledge of someone else taking apart the carb, so I assume these pieces need to be in there. I am guessing that the BBs may be a one way valve to something. According to this guide, these pieces don't show up at all. http://www.mk3supra.org/topic/561-guide-rebuilding-a-weber-3236-dgav-carb/

If any of you know where to find another of these small BBs, that would be great. Any information on where these pieces may go would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gray.

My guess: See that brass ‘screw head’ holding the v-shaped piece over the two Venturi? That’s part of the pump jet, and it should have a check valve inside (and that check valve includes a ball / BB like what you found). You’re likely going to need a new one. -KB

2 hours ago, kbmb02 said:You’re likely going to need a new one. -KB

A new carb would be the recipe. Get a Spanish Weber from a reputable vendor that will set it up for your car. It's good money for a good start. ?

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Aren't there 2 valves in the pump circuit?  It's been a looooong time since I found them, but if you carefully trace that circuit, you should find it.

You need an intake valve and an outlet valve for a pump to work, so if you've found one, head the other way.

And that sleeve probably holds one in place.  And serves as its seat.

One's in the screw that holds the pump jet in place, I think.

I found this:

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=120139.0

hth.

t

Weber Carb 001.jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

45 should be behind a lead plug that's evident on the top, sort of.

Again, sorrry I can't remember- in your pic, it's either beneath the screw buried in the hole in

the lower right corner, or the plug that's a little above it.  You can tell by taking the

pump diaphragm off, and seeing where fuel comes in.

All this said, it's not impossible someone just dumped a few spare parts in there

for safekeeping!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

graymustang...from the picture provided and from your input, your best bet is to order a new weber from Pierce manifolds (mike) 408-842-6667....around $200 will save you a lot of time and trouble.

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

@TobyB

How would the BB come out if its covered with a lead plug? I am having trouble taking off the diaphragm, and I don't suppose you would know the best way to take it off?

@BarneyT

I would prefer not to have to spend too much money on this when I can try and figure out out myself.

Edited by graymustang

@TobyB

Actually, I think I may have figured it out. In this diagram, # 46 shows two small BBs that go into that bolt holding the accelerator squirter in. http://www.carburetorfactory.com/expvw17.html.

At the end of this article, some guy says that it is really hard to aces the screw in the body, and that he has seen no second ball in all of his carb experience.

6 minutes ago, graymustang said:

At this point, I am open to all options.

Okay, maybe you were mistaken about there being another BB?

Weird things happen sometimes, when people work on their cars.

I have seen extra clips fall out of distributors.

Some are distributor clips, but I have found one that may have been the carb choke lever clip (?).

One distributor had an extra bolt locking the advance mechanism.

I am with Toby.  That BB may not belong in this carburetor.  I'd install the one you have and continue the rebuild... myself.

Tom