• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firming Up The Rear Bench (springs)

MildSeven

I just did this job myself.  I was at first a bit intimidated by the hog rings, but they were pretty easy to deal with and I got new ones to replace them.  There are some out there who recommend zip ties to put the covering back on but I liked the hog rings.  Mine basically had nothing left, I added a layer of canvas, 1" green foam, and 2" nufiber.  

I used hog rings to tie the upper surface of the Z springs together( quite a few of them if i remember) then as mataku527 did i wrapped the top surface with canvas, streched down to the bottom frame and hog-ringed, covered the top with synthetic horse hair-2" thick (from local fabric/craft store and then 1'" of green foam then stretched the upholstery vinyl over all and hog-ringed it down to the base frame. the canvas and the synthetic horse hair(nu-fiber?) are crucial to the longevity of the restoration  job.  

• Like 2

CarlkkinMadCity

'74 ex-malaga 8 yr. driving restoration

4-spd, recaros, front bbk, I.E. bars+.s.exhaust. heater refurb(thanks Kieth), total motor rebuild 175 mi ago

(thanks Steve P., Jeff I.)

Is there a way to firm up the springs so they travel less? I found that when I sit on them, I sink all the way in, plus they're bouncy.

My back seat was extra springy, so I took the conical support springs out of an e21 rear seat and used hog rings to attach them into my seat. Made it nice and firm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

'71 colorado 2002

thanks for the words guys.

I'll try with the foam between the springs and report back.

Another question...

The 2 hooks which hold the upper back piece in, can anyone tell me what distance the hooks stick out? I'm fabricating some replacements as I received the car with them cut off.

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

Ok, I have not pulled the interior out of my 2002 yet, but I have done similar restorations on other cars and I've built several home furniture pieces.  So consider this a general recommendation that should, but might not work for you. I'm suggesting you simply replace the tired springs.  

For both the coil and zig-zag springs, just google upholstery springs.  They come in length and wire weight but most springs are a standard diameter (gauge).  You can measure the seat springs with a micrometer to see what gauge they are and replace with same.  One size up (8 gauge instead of 9 gauge, for example) will make the seats considerably stiffer.   Seat springs are actually pretty easy to work with and replace and this will eliminate the need to apply extra foam or do something else as a band-aid.  I mean, part of the goal here is to learn new stuff, right?   These seats are, for the most part, built just like your couch at home.  They just move a lot faster.     

The coil springs should just rotate/spin out at the top and bottom.  If they are wrapped around another coil at one end, you may have to cut it with bolt cutters or loosen it.  Another option might be to double up the spring coils.  They only cost a few dollars a piece.  The zig-zag springs are also sold by length and thickness and are sometimes sold in spools that require bolt-cutters to cut to length. I do not know how they are attached in the car, but they are probably attached by upholstery spring clips that can be opened and closed or removed and reattached.    

Also consider buying a pair of hog-ring pliers and/or a pair of fixture-chain pliers from Harbor Freight or elsewhere.  These will allow you to work with the hog rings that tie springs together and are usually used to tie the seat covers to the bottom of the seat.  Yes, pliers work, but these things make it easier.  

Compared to most work you do on your car, refurbishing the seats and springs is a breeze because you can do it at a table in your house.  

I have a complete interior re-do in my future and will try to 1) validate the comments above and 2) document and photograph for anyone interested. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Scott

• Like 2

Current: '74 2002,75 2002, 88 E28 M5(2), 92 E34 M5, 02 E39 M5, 01 E39T M5, 08 E93 328i, 08 E61 535i, 09 E93 335i, 09 E91 328ix, 12 E70 3.5i  '67 Alfa Romeo Spider; '69 Alfa Romeo Spider, '08 Dodge 1500 SLT. Past BMWs: '74 2002tii, '74 2002, '76 E12 530i, '78 E12 528i, '85 E28 535is, '93 E34 528iT, '94 E34 528i, '99 E36 328ic (2) '99 E39 528iT, '03 E46 330i convt., '07 E90 328i