• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics with Q's re: floor rust, door latch, unknown part hook-

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

2002floor1.JPG

Here's my attempt at a pic, the first is the drivers side floor rust, mostly it's just around the pedals, the rest is mostly new since I took the black stuff off. Can I only post on pic in each message?

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://my2002.org/

Sorry another look at your pics that’s not the sub frame on the passenger side but still not good. Pics are a little close take some more a little farther back.

Good luck hope it looks worse than it is.

Guest Anonymous

It would be my guess from the pics I see you have more than floor problems. Inner rockers, rockers, sub frame ect. You really need to get in there with a pick and see how far this rust has gone or you’re just kidding yourself. The rust on the passenger side is where the front sub frame ends and from the look of it I can’t imagine the sub frame is ok. You have some serious rust there and you shouldn’t throw good money on bad. It’s never a pleasant thing to here but you have a rust problem and it might be time for new shell.

Gary

Guest Anonymous

It's not too bad, I have proded around witha screw driver some and it's not much worse than you see. Have you pur that section there in? How did the gas pedal go back on, just weld it? Thanks

Guest Anonymous

driversfloor1.jpg

The rust I see is repairable by patches. Or better said, I would prefer to repair it by using patches. BUT you need to know where all the metal is that is weakened by rust. Use a phillps screwdriver and forcefully push it against the rust areas. Pick at the rust, pull away any flakiness, remove the gas pedal and anything else thats in the way. Do the same from the underside, pick away, poke and prod.

If you have already done this and that is what you found, I'd say have it patched. If there is more, or you feel the floor is significantly thinned by the surface rust, then going with a large chunk replacement may be better.

Guest Anonymous

First off, I agree with gary, look at the big picture. I have personally left a project behind when I got in too deep. Its a sucky feeling.

Anyway, the metal was 18 gauge.

The gas pedal has a metal piece that goes under it on the floor. (Sticks up a bit and has two balls on it). If this is gone, you'll have to get one used off a junker.

For patching, ideally you would want to cut good metal out of a good floor for your patches. This makes fitment a lot easier. I suppose you would have to assess your own metal working skills, or how ambitious you are before tackling patch creation from a flat sheet.

BTW you planning on doing this yourself or paying to have it done?

Guest Anonymous

Well, I am expecting it to be a project. I've poked around some, but you're right, should do more. The only reason these have rusted is from sitting for 7 or so years with leaky door seals and maybe a few other small leaks, so they rusted from the inside out, they did't really rust under the black stuff much, just around on the edge so I think the frame rails are decent. I've looked around where I can at the rest of the car and there is other rust, but not too bad, mostly here and there on the body from just sitting outside for so long. I plan to do as much of the work as I can by myself, but will have to have some of it done, such as welding. I'm willing to spend plenty of money on it (getting it is another thing) but do want to make sure it's worth it. Thanks of the words of advice. I'll get another pic maybe tomorrow.

Guest Anonymous

TRUEDIABLO It totally depends what you have and what you want! If this is a project car to get you into working on 02s that’s one thing. But if you want to bring a car back to be a very sound reliable car it might be worth taking a look at what you’re starting with. Trust me these little cars can eat the cash. Anyway there are a number of smart people on this and other boards that can help out. When in doubt get a second opinion.

Gary

Guest Anonymous

rod_dallas.jpg

I have a new passenger side floor pan I bought from Max and now do not need it. I have prepared it with POR-15. They aren't cheap, but I can save you a few bucks. Email if interested.

Guest Anonymous

How high up on the transmission tunnel does it go? I might be interested but my rust goes pretty high up on the tunnel so I'm not sure. Can you measure it for me? If it looks like it'll fit I might be interested. Thanks