• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed Driveshaft length

jrhone

Doing a 5 speed conversion and I found a driveshaft from a car that had 245 5 speed in it. I want to verify the length that it should be before I buy. What’s the length that it should be flange to flange?

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

59.75" appears to be the length, however, if you search the forum you will see several differences. You won't know exactly what length you need until the 5 spd box is in and you can measure.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The diff can be moved backward or forward a small amount to compensate for slight variations in length--the rear sub frame diff holes are slotted to allow this, as is the center bearing mount carrier. That said, I'd want to measure my own application before ordering any driveshaft. --Fred

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Well let me put it this way. 59.25” for 4 bolt and 59.75” for 3 bolt. To compensate for the difference in thickness of the guibo. There is enough adjustment like previous people have said in the diff and center bearing. Been using these numbers for years no problemo. 

On 10/29/2017 at 4:04 AM, J Mart said:

Not to highjack the conversation but does anyone know what the length would be on a 260 5spd drive shaft. I have both drive shafts 3 and 4

Not sure but would be nice to know if anyone on here knew. I know getrag 245 on the M20 is about 56.5” and getrag 240 on M10 is about 62”.  It mostly comes down to what M20 motor mounts you are using,  some put the motor closer to the firewall than others. 

Edit :  my measurements are flange to flange. NOT to the tip of the nose 

Edited by 02tradition