• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

part3; snapped subframe bolt saga continues

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So I finally got the screw extractor drilled out.. it took forever, and I snapped 2 bits in the process. Then I figured I would go for try #2. I would use the other stud extractor I had.. the backup plan.. its a 'hammer in' type one made by Lisle. The packaging looked pretty convincing.

Anyways, so I hammer that sucker in to spec.. start turning it out.. and it just slipped. No problem, I'll go bigger I figure. so I drill it out some more, and hammer in a bigger extractor. This time.. YUP, you guessed it. Now I snapped THIS extractor off inside.

so its now on to plan #5..as per the suggestion below.. just drill the bastard out until it can be peeled and then clean it up with a tap.

I love cars.

matt

Guest Anonymous

start with a smaller bit and keep going up one size at the time until you cant go no more, there is usually not bolt left when you are done just pick out whats left. In your case I dont know now but you may tried that and see what happens. God I hate that shit.

74 tii with no broken bolts yet.

Guest Anonymous

Dont know how deep it broke...but I have had good luck when breaking bolts using the MIG. If its possible try to weld another bolt to the broken one, then u can try to losen it. The heat from the welding usually tends to help the bolt get lose from rust and stuff..

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

If possible, drill out the extractor (stock up on drill bits). Then drill the biggest hole you can in the broken bolt without destroying the threads in the frame rail. Then drill a small hole along the edge of the bolt, trying to get the bit to drill between the bolt and the threaded hole. If you are able to do this, you can then collapse the now-C-shaped cross section of the bolt and remove it. Chase the threads in the frame and install a new bolt. While there will be a groove in the threaded part of the frame (from the small drill bit) there should still be enough thread to grip the bolt and allow it to be tightened. Put Lubro Moly anti-seize on the bolts when you reinstall them.

HTH

Colin

Guest Anonymous

I didn't soak mine enough.. next time I'll be smarter. Just pump it full of oil or soaker of choice in that hole on the top of the frame rail. Next time I'm going to soak/heat mine at least half a dozen times over few day period.

matt

Guest Anonymous

I worked in a machine shop in college and we used this method a lot. It worked especially well if the bolt was broken off in aluminum.