• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan switch position

Rakearch

When did the fan switch move from the left side of the instrument cluster to the upper right slide lever at the right of the steering column?  Was it mid 1972 or during the 1973 model year.

When the lower dash controls went from two sides left and one right to two slides on each side.

Tom Rakestraw

72 2002 Tii, 73 3.0 csl, 75 2002 A, 

4 hours ago, Rakearch said:

When did the fan switch move from the left side of the instrument cluster to the upper right slide lever at the right of the steering column?  Was it mid 1972 or during the 1973 model year.

When the lower dash controls went from two sides left and one right to two slides on each side.

Fan switch moved on the ‘73 model year.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

I've always believed that this change occurred at the beginning of (USA) model year 1973. Other changes were more subtle (hazard switch that illuminates during headlight use - mid/late 72. Threaded C pillars for rear 3pt belts...also mid 72. I've also seen what I *believe* are misprints in the factory wiring diagrams for heater fan / fan resistor wiring in the 73 era cars (it changes slightly from year to year....I think. Luckily the resistor is labeled with the colors (in German.)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Per the factory parts book (which isn't always absolutely correct) the heater blower switch was moved to the lower part of the dash from the instrument binnacle at 2585138 (carbed cars), 2762631 (tii) and 2533173 (automatics).  And as Paul said, that's the beginning of 1973 production on US cars.  But as we've discovered, BMW tended to "use up stock" on the assembly line, so there may be a few cars either earlier or later than those numbers that do or don't have that setup.  

Ah, the fun of owning a 2002!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, wegweiser said:

I've always believed that this change occurred at the beginning of (USA) model year 1973. Other changes were more subtle (hazard switch that illuminates during headlight use - mid/late 72. Threaded C pillars for rear 3pt belts...also mid 72. I've also seen what I *believe* are misprints in the factory wiring diagrams for heater fan / fan resistor wiring in the 73 era cars (it changes slightly from year to year....I think. Luckily the resistor is labeled with the colors (in German.)

Just for reference, '72tii 2761401 delivered early April, 1972 came equipped with the threaded C pillar mounts for rear 3pt belts. I installed the belts myself, and was quite pleased to find the mounts already there.

The fan switch in my car is mounted in the instrument cluster.

Jerry

Edited by JerryC
  • Like 2

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

My Nov '73 built RHD Touring has a heated rear window & combined fan speed switch lower left in the dash binnacle. Maybe Europe '02s or Tourings or both were different than US '02s.

DSCN3695sm.jpg.fb3f8b5d03c80de41a322d63047a5a6a.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Great information. Second question, with the fan switch near the instrument cluster on the early 1972 cars, where was the rear window defroster switch located and does anyone have a photo of the switch

Tom Rakestraw

72 2002 Tii, 73 3.0 csl, 75 2002 A, 

2 hours ago, Rakearch said:

Great information. Second question, with the fan switch near the instrument cluster on the early 1972 cars, where was the rear window defroster switch located and does anyone have a photo of the switch

Pull out the fan switch knob in order to turn on the rear defogger in your ‘72.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

7 hours ago, 02Les said:

My Nov '73 built RHD Touring has a heated rear window & combined fan speed switch lower left in the dash binnacle. Maybe Europe '02s or Tourings or both were different than US '02s.

DSCN3695sm.jpg.fb3f8b5d03c80de41a322d63047a5a6a.jpg

That 140 mph speedometer is kind of rare.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

14 hours ago, Ensign said:

59fd188d16e29_driverdoorjamb-2.thumb.jpg.84b7b132acf1ea6f573b900b0ecbd951.jpg

VIN 2761794 (not mine)

My very early 1970 (VIN 1668093, September 8, 1969) had a heated rear window when I purchased it in June 1973.  But there was nothing in the Owner’s handbook regarding its operation (the rear window and switch appeared to be original but — who knows? — maybe they were installed during the first owner’s tenure) and it was 9 months later when I discovered the dual-function pull-out control....?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

That 140 mph speedometer is kind of rare.

As far as I know (I have full service history) it is original to the car, which I bought in 1986. Reportedly they were only installed on RHD tiis, so maybe the reports are wring.

Les

FAQ Member #17

2 minutes ago, 02Les said:

As far as I know (I have full service history) it is original to the car, which I bought in 1986. Reportedly they were only installed on RHD tiis, so maybe the reports are wring.

I'll swap you a proper speedo for it. You're not using the last 20% anyway.

:D

• Haha 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

4 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I'll swap you a proper speedo for it. You're not using the last 20% anyway.

:D

Hehe. I do have a couple of spare 140 speedos Ray. Seeing how prices have skyrocketed, one must be worth $1000.B)

• Haha 2

Les

FAQ Member #17