• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Quarter seals ??

1Eighteen

I am trying to fit new seals into the rear quarters, but I am struggling with them.

Is there a trick to getting them to fit.  I can do the bottom edge fine, then you start with the run up to the Hoffman kink, but the rubber just will not stay in after that.  When I move onto the straight run after the kink, I just cannot get the seal to push behind the window frame.  I also have some plastic bodywork tools, but still struggling.

I can see exactly how it is supposed to fit, but there must be some sort of trick to actually getting them in place ?? 

Could someone also advice if these seals are glued at any point ?

Thanks guys and gals.

I did a column some years ago on this installation, part of the general refurbishment I did on my '69 back around 2001.  PM me if you'd like a copy of the column.  IIRC I had to do a bit of trimming and finagling to get the seal in place.  But it's been hanging in there ever since!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

I did a column some years ago on this installation, part of the general refurbishment I did on my '69 back around 2001.  PM me if you'd like a copy of the column.  IIRC I had to do a bit of trimming and finagling to get the seal in place.  But it's been hanging in there ever since!

cheers

mike

Thx Mike.  PM sent.

1 hour ago, mike said:

1 hour ago, 1Eighteen said:

wow.  02Les.  That looks bad.  Are you sure they're not damaged ? 

No they are not damaged. Both sides are similar with the gap in the same place.

These were bought through BMW to get away from URO.......so much for that. I'll not wash the car or take it out in the rain!!!;)

They are actually sedan seals that I had to extend, as BMW, in their wisdom, made the Touring ones NLA.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

6 hours ago, mike said:

cheers

mike

Can I have a copy of the column, please.  I am about to tackle this once I get some fuel issues ironed out. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 3-11-2017 at 8:50 PM, 02Les said:

No they are not damaged. Both sides are similar with the gap in the same place.

These were bought through BMW to get away from URO.......so much for that. I'll not wash the car or take it out in the rain!!!;)

They are actually sedan seals that I had to extend, as BMW, in their wisdom, made the Touring ones NLA.

Hey Les,

I received the reproduction Touring seal, still need to find some time to get it all fitted and tested out before the guy will start producing more. I'll let you know when these are for sale

Well.  I have almost got there with these, wow, it's hard work to get these in !!  But I have managed to fit them without any trimming or cutting (apart from the B pillar end) which is intended to be cut !!

And, that's where I am at.  I am unsure how to properly trim the end to allow the glass to fit without leaking or breaking !!  It is virtually impossible to squeeze it in there as it is now ?  Anyone ?  I also know I have to trim and fit the B pillar rubber, before anyone points it out !!!

GEDC2051.JPG

5 hours ago, D.martijn said:

Hey Les,

I received the reproduction Touring seal, still need to find some time to get it all fitted and tested out before the guy will start producing more. I'll let you know when these are for sale

Great.

Yes, please let me know when available.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

:angry: Back to square one with these !!

I thought I was there.  Trimmed the seal at the B pillar, fitted the glass and did a dry run with the 'U' trim on the inside and the seal decided to remove itself from the kink !!  Bloody things !!  

Took me most of the fkn day !!!