• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting new reFittingar quarter window seals

1Eighteen

I'm having a devil of a time with these seals. I tried Dawn liquid and Silicone spray, but can't get past the kink/corner. After trying to push the lip into the flange from the outside of the car I reversed my method and tried pushing the seal in from the inside of the car after I had rolled the seal lip into the flange. I have the tool pictured in the article. These seals just don't want to fit down in that frame. Very frustrating. Shouldn't be THAT hard. I already did the door seals so I thought I had a leg up on this job.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:58 AM, 1Eighteen said:

Hi Larry,

Yes, I removed EVERYTHING off the car during a full resto.

The chrome strips are simply riveted on.  So, just drill them out and use new rivets to replace it.  Don't forget to put a smear of body sealant over the new rivets afterwards and also a good splodge in the bottom inside corner of the B pillar, is probably a good idea too.

Edited by NYNick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

• 2 years later...
On 1/26/2019 at 2:09 PM, NYNick said:

I'm having a devil of a time with these seals. I tried Dawn liquid and Silicone spray, but can't get past the kink/corner. After trying to push the lip into the flange from the outside of the car I reversed my method and tried pushing the seal in from the inside of the car after I had rolled the seal lip into the flange. I have the tool pictured in the article. These seals just don't want to fit down in that frame. Very frustrating. Shouldn't be THAT hard. I already did the door seals so I thought I had a leg up on this job.

did anything you tried end up helping you with the frustrating install @NYNick? I'm about to embark on this task and wonder if anything's changed in the seals since this article was written if you were having such a hard time more recently. Any further guidance would be appreciate!

1965 Hillman Imp - Rosemarie

1969 BMW 2002 - Dolores

1975 BMW 2002 - Rolf

1984 BMW 533i Swap - Alfons

What finally worked for me was the Blue Dawn Liquid and another set of hands. Either my buddy had stronger hands than me, had better technique, or me helping him helped, but boy, what a bitch of a job. We ended up doing it all from the outside.

Full disclosure: my hand strength isn't what it used to be and my buddy is 18 years younger than I am.

I think this was the number one or two hardest jobs on the car, right up there with frozen brake adjusters, rusted rear carrier bushings and a stuck e-brake cable.

Edited by NYNick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

• 4 months later...

Just did this on my touring, shouldn't be any different, just a bit longer ?

When I started I had little patience and it was hot. Swearing ensued. I soon ditched the rubbish plastic tool I was using and ground down an old flat head screw driver (if you're careful you only touch the rubber) and found some silicone grease.

By taping the seal roughly in place, applying a little lube to the edge that fits into the body, plus the edge that seals against the paint so I could easily slide my screw driver along, I found a technique that worked for me. Push and twist, little by little, then tapping it with the rubber mallet

After a beer break I tackled the other side and it took me about 10 minutes. Moral of the story -  a little experience, the right tool and some lube goes a long way.

IMG_0749.thumb.jpg.2c53d7d1d14c25bf4c3deabaa50ffedb.jpg

IMG_0750.thumb.jpg.b3ecbde1d844c28436a49ffec93a31e4.jpg

IMG_0751.thumb.jpg.4e8f62e96aa9d8fea6b13b12f26594eb.jpg

IMG_0752.thumb.jpg.669220354c3e1597f224aaf32a1f5eb2.jpg

IMG_0753.thumb.jpg.333a5982b12eefd7c64e0bb06ddc4c9f.jpg

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the write-up. I just did it using URO seals. They seemed fine, but the job is a total pain in the ass. Why did BMW design a massive seal and then hold on the front end of the window with four little #6 metal screws!!?

engine small.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to get my seals in and am stuck on step one. I cannot get the seal to sit down in the kink of the window. I can get the lower section in place pretty easily, but it pops out at the kink. I see that there is extra material molded into the seal at that spot. But I don't see a corresponding space for the extra material. I'm almost ready to start cutting the seal, but I don't want to lose the ability to keep water out. Am I missing something (using recent URO seals)

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what are the proper type and size screw to mount the hinge bracket inside the car. I cant find mine.  It looks like two philips head but anyone know the size and length? 

On 6/1/2024 at 2:13 PM, Rodolfo Lasparri said:

They are an oval head 4.8 x 19

Thank you. Are they normal screws or machine ones? Lastly are there inserts in the body, or do they screw into the metal?

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2024 at 1:03 PM, M3This said:

Anyone know what are the proper type and size screw to mount the hinge bracket inside the car.

According to RealOEM they are these...

06 Fillister head self-tapping screw ST3,5X6,5 8     07119907774 $0.09

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)