• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color Dispute...Need help settling this one.

Tdh

If that color is original to the car, and you have the VIN, send an e-mail to:

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

Provide them with the VIN and they will reply, usually within a couple of days, with the manufacture date and the color code.

Regards,

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

Paul - The photo was taken in direct sunlight and looks a little lighter in the photo than in person (didn't really notice till you brought it up).  

Tony - Thanks for the email address.  I've sent a request, so we'll see what comes back.

Hal - Thanks for the guess.  We'll see if you're right.

1 hour ago, Tdh said:

FunElan,

that is indeed my car.  How the hell did you find that photo?

JoeBarthlow,

Interior is black.  Color is supposed to be original to the car, but I'm not the original owner so who knows. 

With Riviera, the interior would be black in most cases. I don't know what interior color Caribe is, though.

that color looks great

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

9 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

With Riviera, the interior would be black in most cases. I don't know what interior color Caribe is, though.

that color looks great

Caribe is gone from the BMW color offerings by the time of the November 1968 global all-models paint and upholstery brochure.  So this car did not leave the factory with Caribe paint.

I’ve given up guessing the blues — Caribe, Riviera, Atlantic, Pacific, etc. — cause I’m usually wrong!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

48 minutes ago, joebarthlow said:

that color looks great

Generally gray interiors.  Caribe is an early color and, I suspect, more often found on Euro-spec examples.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

AFAIK there were no US spec 2002s painted Caribe--at least none that came through the Hoffman organization, either direct sale in the US or ordered from a US dealer for overseas delivery.  If the car was ordered directly from the factory by military or diplomatic personnel serving overseas, other colors could be ordered.  But even then I don't think Caribe was ever offered on 2002s period.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, mike said:

AFAIK there were no US spec 2002s painted Caribe--at least none that came through the Hoffman organization, either direct sale in the US or ordered from a US dealer for overseas delivery.  If the car was ordered directly from the factory by military or diplomatic personnel serving overseas, other colors could be ordered....

Mike,

Z3M has a U.S.-spec 2002 manufactured July 29, 1968 that is a factory Caribe car.  And...precisely as you alude to, it was imported not by Hoffman Motors Corp, but by J.B.S., one of the importers permitted to serve military and diplomatic personnel serving overseas.

From Z3M’s May 15, 2015 thread on the subject:

“I emailed BMW classic a while ago, and they said "The BMW 2002 US VIN 1662720 was manufactured on July 29th, 1968 and delivered on August 17th, 1968 to the company J.B.S. (a BMW Military sales contractor) in Frankfurt, Germany. The original colour was Caribe, paint code 059....”

I believe two factors contributed to the rarity of Caribe U.S. 2002’s: (a.) Caribe was not on Hoffman’s “preferred” color list; and (b.) Caribe was being phased out just as the 2002 was arriving on these shores.

Best regards,

Steve

13 hours ago, Tdh said:

FunElan,

that is indeed my car.  How the hell did you find that photo?

JoeBarthlow,

Interior is black.  Color is supposed to be original to the car, but I'm not the original owner so who knows. 

Someone posted it on the 2002 Facebook group! Just happened to be scrolling and I saw the same radar detector. The glare in the windows made it difficult to spot your stickers. It's a pretty car!

Caribe 1600s often game with grey interior but mine is black. My car is far from original so I'm not ruling out the idea that someone swapped the entire interior. One day I'll find a grey interior to put in there. 

Z3M's 2002 is so far the only one I've heard of as a US Spec 2002 that came in Caribe. I have been collecting a small list of US spec 1600 VINs that were painted Caribe

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167