• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire Pressure for 13" Rims

saaron

Hey 13" Rim Nation - what tire pressures do you run?  I realized I don't even know what the factory reco was!  How uniformed can I be?

Thanks, gang.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

1 hour ago, YoungWilliaM said:

Per page 25 of my '76 owners manual:

165 SR 13 (2002 and 2002A)

up to 3 pp - F 26, R 26

4 pp - F 26, R 29

165 HR 13 (2002 tii)

3 pp - F 27, R 27

4 pp - F 29, R 32

That is interesting.  I was running a bit higher than these pressures.  Thanks for the info!

Scott

02ing since '87

I always thought the designated pressures were low.  Could it be that tire quality and design got better shortly after the 2002 era?

Steering is so much easier at 30psi and above, although you feel the road vibration more.  Right or wrong, my rule is 29-30 for ease around town, and 31-32 highway. 

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

always thought the designated pressures were low.  Could it be that tire quality and design got better shortly after the 2002 era?

Steering is so much easier at 30psi and above, although you feel the road vibration more.  Right or wrong, my rule is 29-30 for ease around town, and 31-32 highway.

I had the same thought - 27/27 (for example) sounded a little low.  I think I might try something around 29 or 30 and go from there.  

Scott

02ing since '87

Bearing in mind, that the Owner's Manual states tyre pressures for cold tyres, so, once you get speeding down the highway the pressures will increase ~4 psi.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

4 hours ago, 02Les said:

Owner's Manual states tyre pressures for cold tyres, so, once you get speeding down the highway the pressures will increase ~4 psi.

So if I'm at 32psi and I pull over after a brisk drive (in the summer) my tire pressure would read 35-36psi? Hmmm...I'll have to test that.  If I can remember to do that in 8 months. :wacko:  Car is officially down until March.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I'm running 185/70 Sumitomo HTR T4's on early alloys and typically go with 32 for the front and 34 for the rear tires.  I've noticed that BMW seems to recommend higher pressure for the rears; at least for my E28 and E60.  It certainly aids steering the '02 and maybe it has to do with rear wheel drive?  Have not noticed any over inflated tire wear.

76 2002 Chamonix

06 530i Monaco Blue

18 i3 BEV Protonic Blue

87 528e Royalblau (Retired)

Ever since I took the tii out on the track and did some autocrossing, I have used higher tire pressure in both 2002's. In the tii, 38 psi all around; the higher profile tires on the 69 are set between 35-36.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

So if I'm at 32psi and I pull over after a brisk drive (in the summer) my tire pressure would read 35-36psi? Hmmm...I'll have to test that.  If I can remember to do that in 8 months. :wacko:  Car is officially down until March.

A few months ago I had a rental car that displayed all 4 tyre pressures. After a 6 hour Interstate trip the pressures had increased 9~10 psi.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The original 165 SR 13 tires had an aspect ratio of 82. That's a lot of sidewall to flex (and create heat).

The factory recommended cold tire pressures could easily increase 4-6 psi after a brisk drive.

I would guess the 70, 60, and 55 series tires that are popular replacements today would not stray as much from a higher cold pressure.

Has anyone tested this theory?

Moisture in the tire plays a large part in pressure rise.

I usually start at 24- 25 psi cold first thing in the morning if I want to see 32 after 2 practice/quali sessions-

maybe a little lower if it's going to be a hot day or I want the tires to not fall off as badly after 5-7 laps...

...but on the street, 30 all around seems to work.  28 in back if I want it just a bit more tailhappy...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL