• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Shifter Console Side Pieces

Captain Manly

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Captain Manly said:

Ok, just a quick clarification,  Since I am using a Clardy AC Shroud, I am in need of the short stubby pieces that attach to the console which then connects to the AC shrouding.

Thanks!

Justin 

Justin,

Unfortuunately I cannot locate my original Clardy installation instructions — they’re somewhere here!

But if I recall, Clardy had you:

1.  Cut-off the small front ends of the two factory side panels, the arms that extend to either side of the shifter.  You kept these two small pieces and trashed the remainder, i.e., the majority, of the factory side panels.

2.  Take Clardy’s two black plastic “sleeves” and place those sleeves over the two pieces you cut from the original side panels.

This allowed all pieces of the Clardy console to be matched — OK, it’s black cheap-looking plastic, but it’s mostly matched — but gave some strength to the shifter sides.  Thus, the shifter console had two side pieces made from the original console sides and two black plastic sleeves that hid those pieces cut from the console sides.

All of this is ca. 1976, a year after the introduction of the Clardy system.  I don’t know for certain whether this practice continued through the end of Clardy production.

In the second photo below, where the shifter console is flipped on its left side, you can see the black plastic sleeve surrounding the amputated arms of the factory console side panels.

Regards,

Steve

5D17B4B5-D49E-4602-9387-1F4A561EC7F7.jpeg

64D3EE7B-1591-4681-BE19-6D75150D9EB6.jpeg

F288230F-CC2C-4268-9CCA-2CC52B225E7A.jpeg

8DDA8517-C5F0-4100-92B8-2DCF6A05319D.jpeg

E64B999B-7FF2-498C-830C-0049F8D8F8E2.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

8 hours ago, Captain Manly said:

One more thing, would it be possible to make a template of the side pieces to know exactly how much to cut off?

Thanks!!

Justin 

The car is waiting for me to pick it up in North Carolina.  As soon as I get it, I can easily measure the sides.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)