• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would cause one rear drum to lock-up?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I drove my '02 daily up until last summer, then I had to put it in storage. Unfortunatly, storage meant a car cover behind my apartment. When I put it away all was well. When I brought it out, the right rear drum brake locks under heavy braking.

The car was parked with the parking brake on, and the rear brakes were stuck on for the first few feet I drove it. So, at first I though things were just rusty. After about 1k miles, it still has the problem.

I pulled the drum to see if I could see a problem. There's no evidence of a leak or the mechanism binding. Also, the drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders have less than 10k miles on them.

My best guess is that the drum is warped from sitting with the parking brake on for so long.

Any other ideas?

TIA

Chris

'74 2002

Guest Anonymous

The rubber hoses deteriorate when they sit unused and can collapse, trapping fluid at the cylinder even after you let off the brakes. Swap out for new hoses (preferably clad in stainless steel braid) and bleed the system.