• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB a NOS radiator prefer BMW

JohnP_02

Looking for a NOS or minty radiator, will consider other options if you have an excellent restored and re-cored one also let me know. Just would prefer an OEM unit. Let me know what you have. Have some cool/NOS stuff for trade also or can pay cash. Thanks, John

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

FWIW: I bought a new one from a local BMW dealer about 2 years ago. it was spendy, but it works better than any re-cored unit I've ever had. You might consider the turbo radiator, if there isn't a huge price difference, and if you have the extra room. They're about 1.4" wider, on the driver's side. 

• Like 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

After my 1600's radiator was skillfully stolen by Mark Preisendorf along with countless others when I sent it in to have it re-cored, I was forced to substitute a "Radiator with high cooling rate - with original dimensions" from my amigos Albrecht Walloth u. Alexander Nesch

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/radiator-with-high-cooling-rate-with-original-diamensions-11-31-14.html

17111102621.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

Thanks everyone for the feedback! 

11 hours ago, wegweiser said:

FWIW: I bought a new one from a local BMW dealer about 2 years ago. it was spendy, but it works better than any re-cored unit I've ever had. You might consider the turbo radiator, if there isn't a huge price difference, and if you have the extra room. They're about 1.4" wider, on the driver's side. 

Paul, I have tried to keep everything in my 02 as close to stock and OEM as possible with a few exceptions of course, so think I will just go new BMW OEM. I will investigate the Turbo radiator - is there any reason why it wouldn't fit a stock set up in my '76?

John

1 hour ago, JohnP_02 said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! 

Paul, I have tried to keep everything in my 02 as close to stock and OEM as possible with a few exceptions of course, so think I will just go new BMW OEM. I will investigate the Turbo radiator - is there any reason why it wouldn't fit a stock set up in my '76?

John

John,

The factory turbo actually has a larger cutout in the radiator support to take full advantage of the wider turbo radiator. But that doesn’t disqualify non-turbos from largely benefiting from the turbo radiator.  Some sub-models — I’m really thinking of tii’s with a fuel filter along the left border of the radiator and the tip of the front airbox snorkel — might get a bit squeezed with the greater width of the turbo unit.  (9.5 out of 10 ‘02 owners wouldn’t notice the difference!)

I tenaciously hung onto my ‘76’s original, correctly-dated radiator with service tags added along the way, for the sake of originality, installing a triple core on my original tanks and supports in 2012.  But the original top tank was just “done” by this past summer, springing lots of pinholes.  So I decided to go with the Walloth & Nesch high capacity, not the turbo unit.

But, if one is a stickler for stock — and I’m thinking you are — even this good solution posed two more “challenges”:  (a.) the lower radiator outlet on the Walloth HD version does not tilt upward like the original, and (b.) the Walloth HD version does not come with mounting brackets needed for the square taillight fan shroud.

So, we “borrowed” a good lower tank and fan shroud brackets from an OEM radiator and brazed (soldered?) them onto the new Walloth HD.  It seems to look just right and has been working great, in non-too-stressful use thus far.

Below, before painting to conceal our trickery...

Best regards,

Steve

C1E8F01B-C94D-4A05-B256-E150854755BA.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It may come very close to the battery tray on some cars (I know early NON-tii cars had removable trays.) Not sure about a 76. here's a photo of one in my old car (Malaga), from a few years ago. Note extra width (1"+)  to the left of the upper radiator hose. For me, I found a new radiator to be similar in price to a re-cored radiator. Currently running a non-turbo radiator in the F Bomb (Fjord blue car). 

sidewaysmotor.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

8 minutes ago, wegweiser said:

It may come very close to the battery tray on some cars (I know early NON-tii cars had removable trays.) Not sure about a 76. here's a photo of one in my old car (Malaga), from a few years ago. Note extra width (1"+)  to the left of the upper radiator hose. For me, I found a new radiator to be similar in price to a re-cored radiator. Currently running a non-turbo radiator in the F Bomb (Fjord blue car). 

sidewaysmotor.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

Great visual comparison, Paul!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On a tii, if replacing the alternator you can remove the 4 screws securing the stock width radiator and move/push it all the way to the right (passenger side) in order to pull out the top alternator pivot bolt (long one).  You don't have to drain the coolant. Not sure you could do this with the wider turbo radiator.

i believe the lower radiator tube that has a 45 degree bend is meant for a/c equipped cars.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thank you again everyone. It sounds like there is quite a bit of adjustments that need to be made for both the turbo and/or the WN radiator, which made my decision even easier to just go with a new BMW unit. Its always a bummer to see original parts come off the car but the radiator metal is just getting to thin, thankfully we can still get new ones!

John

• Like 1

I have a OEM/BMW Non-Turbo radiator that was meticulously redone by Curt Ingraham years ago. It's new, never installed three core radiator.  Looks totally stock,  but has better cooling capacity.

txt me if you are interested:  714-402-2609

'73 2002tii Colorado

'71 1600 cabriolet

'69 1600 cabriolet

I sell floor pans for coupes and 2002's

• 2 weeks later...