• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I searched all over the forum and never found the answer, so I thought I would document it here.  The input on a Weber 32/36 (with a threaded fitting on the end) is a 1/8 -27 NPT fitting.  How do I know... i spent some time at Home Depot and the at Canadian Tire today going through the dies and taps. I happened to have a spare lid off an old junk carb that I could use.  The interesting part is that the threaded bore seems to be tapered quickly, so if you put in a 1/8" pipe fitting you get two threads in and then it starts to bind... but if you match the bolt to a die, it goes on perfectly. 

So if you are running AN style fittings for your fuel delivery hose to your Weber, you need to get a 1/8" to -6 or -4 AN line.   I will post pics once I have my line installed.  As always use Teflon paste, not tape, to seal between the 1/8 fitting and the carb (if you feel you need to). 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Assuming the carb was manufactured in Europe, I would have thought the thread would be 1/8" bspt.

Finding NPT fittings overseas can be as rare as rocking horse droppings.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

BSP will be correct. The 'few turns and then stops' is the common sign between the two. 

More info:

https://www.valvesonline.com.au/references/threads/

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

33 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

why did the die fit on the bolt?

(( I am waiting for the punchline ))

" BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) is similar to NPT except for one important difference. The angle across the flanks of threads (if you sliced the fitting in half long-ways and measured the angle from root to crest to root) is 55 degrees instead of 60 degrees as it is for NPT"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TobyB said:

BSPT, Tom, isn't that British Standard Pipe Taper?

Like NPT is National Pipe Taper?

t

It is. British Standard Pipe (Taper or straight) was chosen as the 'European standard' and even erroneously called a metric pipe thread. In Australia we even have BSP threads applied to metric sized pipes (internal diameter) - very confusing 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

Crazy... I don't know what other experiences are with running a 1/8 NPT tap, but from what I can find BPT has a different pitch than NPT.  I have an -6 to barb that I will run until I can get the BPT to -6. 

NPT is 27, BPT is 28. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Having spent a bit of time googling it the only references to the threads on Weber inlets are M12 for the banjo inlets on side drafts and down drafts such as the IDF and M10. These are all shown as parallel threads with a crush washer. Could it be an M10?

rtheriaque wrote: