• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to 2002s, is this the car for me?

Trve Klasse

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-bmw-2002-21/

I am looking to buy a 2002 for the first time, and I know very little. I figured I would ask around as to whether this car seems solid or not. I inspected the pictures of the shock towers for corrosion, and it did not seem like a deal breaker for me. That being said, I am not an expert on these cars, and perhaps some of you guys could take a look at this and see if it seems legit. Thanks!

That looks like a solid example from this chair.  Rust is your main concern.

I like seeing the original air cleaner under the hood.  I noticed that it is missing the rubber mounts, around the outer rim (3), as well as the bracket they attach to on the passenger side.  In a stock configuration, there would be nothing holding the filter in place.  This leads me to think that the original Solex carburetor has been replaced with a Weber and the base of the filter hacked out, so it could be screwed to the carb/adaptor (short-cut, imho).  There is no mention of the Weber, but then, no mention of the electric fuel pump either.

They say fluids were checked recently, yet the brake/clutch reservoir is a little low, which may imply a leak.  My clutch master is leaking now... so that is the first place I would look.  In a photo from below of the passenger wheel, the tire looks a bit wet.  That could be brake fluid, or simply water from a recent washing, prior to photos.

If they are saying that the rubber mounts are original and still okay, that is a stretch.  I'll bet there'd be room for improvement with fresh rubber.

It looks 'unmolested' and quite original to my eye.  It even still wears its 'sufficient' bumpers : ) 

EDIT:  for the obligatory "Buy Macartney's Restoration Guide and read it twice" suggestion.

51hDfT3n5hL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by '76mintgrun'02
  • Like 3

The car looks well cared for to me...it will come down to price in the end...I would read all the comments on bat as they have a lot of sharp eyed fellows who look a every screw...no matter what there will be things to address it’s not going to be a Honda think more of it as a hobby...

• Like 2

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

That car has been well-loved, and in a good way.

Both the PO and the shop where it was (recently?) services have chimed in on it.

A PPI is always a good thing, but from this distance the car looks just about perfect IMO.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

2 hours ago, MrKvlt said:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-bmw-2002-21/

I am looking to buy a 2002 for the first time, and I know very little. I figured I would ask around as to whether this car seems solid or not. I inspected the pictures of the shock towers for corrosion, and it did not seem like a deal breaker for me. That being said, I am not an expert on these cars, and perhaps some of you guys could take a look at this and see if it seems legit. Thanks!

really depends on what your goals are and how you intend to use the car. Do you have any background in owning a 40+ year old car? What sort of driving are you intending to do. Will this be your only car? Will you be turning the wrenches or will you use a shop? Can you adequately store the vehicle during inclement weather? these are just a couple questions to ask yourself.

2002s on Bring a Trailer are usually solid. lots of photos and instant scrutiny on details are quite educational and informative.

Things to keep in mind as you wade through the 2002 world...

1. older vehicles require a certain level of owner maintenance. The Haynes manual and owners manual help illustrate.

2. These old-timers can hold up to daily driving, but the commute needs to be easy (see #1)

3. 2002s are best as a "weekend fun car" or at least mix with others to share the driving damage

4. If you have wrenching skills, there are tons of resources out there, books, web sites, including this site

5. If you will use a shop for service and repairs, find one with experience and passion for classic BMWs. Actually, that would be a good place to start to find one and to use for pre-purchase inspections

6. you'll need a garage. these old cars rust, which is the worst thing for old steel and paint. protect from sun and moisture at all costs

7. sites like bmw2002faq.com and the 2002 facebook groups will offer more opinions than you may want. Once poking around and researching topics, you notice the groups are widely diverse in perspective and opinion. Some like the bone stock, original 2002, some like the heavily modified 2002, some like the racer 2002 and some like a little of everything... My suggestion, before tearing into anything is to start with a stock, drivable 2002 to give you a base of what you have. From there you can form a perspective for where you want to go with your 2002.

8. Back to #5, a great place to start. Cars you see online probably represent about 30% of what's out there for sale. Get to know some local 2002 owners. they can be valuable for information to find and maintain a 2002.

Good luck!

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

I have been watching that one too and it conditionally gets a thumbs up from me.   Original paint in the engine compartment, no oil anywhere, some new links and bushings underneath.  It has a later model steering wheel, which is fine, and it looks like the manifold/reactor has been replaced with a non-'75 version, but not a header.  That means that the emissions control equipment that remains on the car (air-pump if present, EGR solenoids that are present, etc.) is non-functional.  I don't see a charcoal canister under the hood, either, which means that part of the fuel vapor return system has also been removed.  The missing canister also adds to mintgun's suggestion that the carb has been replaced with a Weber.  The Weber is a good thing and the swapped out manifold means somebody else did the really hard part of removing the old emissions controls.   One caution, some states still require '75 models to pass smog inspection.  I'm not sure this car would pass in those states because of the removed equipment.  

I see what might be a little rust repair in the front air dam on the right side (the dimpling finish is missing and there is an odd crease.) This is a common rust spot. 

Overall, very nice, mostly stock car.    The un-restored nice-driver BMWs have not been bringing a whole lot on BAT lately.  Several pretty decent ones have sold for less than $10k.   There is a brown '75 on BAT that is also very nice and there is a '72 round-tail with a newer tii engine and a 5-speed.   Any of these cars would be good choices.  

Good luck! 

Scott

Current: '74 2002,75 2002, 88 E28 M5(2), 92 E34 M5, 02 E39 M5, 01 E39T M5, 08 E93 328i, 08 E61 535i, 09 E93 335i, 09 E91 328ix, 12 E70 3.5i  '67 Alfa Romeo Spider; '69 Alfa Romeo Spider, '08 Dodge 1500 SLT. Past BMWs: '74 2002tii, '74 2002, '76 E12 530i, '78 E12 528i, '85 E28 535is, '93 E34 528iT, '94 E34 528i, '99 E36 328ic (2) '99 E39 528iT, '03 E46 330i convt., '07 E90 328i

Well bought! Keep us posted!

You maybe could buy one with less initial investment but by the time you had it sorted to the level of this purchase, you'd have spent much more IMO.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.