• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does your 2002 use high octane?

abe2002tii

Walking with my wife in Rancho Santa Fe, CA when we came across this little gas station in town.  I wish we  had a gas station like that in my town but without the high prices.

Well, at least the service is free when you buy Super Sport 100 octane ...LOL

Abe

10370 (2).jpg

Edited by abe2002tii
  • Like 3

harkins back to the good ole days...in the 80's, growing up in San Jose, 100+ octane was available at 3 different gas station a short distance from my house, which i treated my TR4 to often....but most of the time, in my beater datsun 510, it was the cheap stuff, and at one point in the late 80's it was down to $0.88/gal....

So true  Carl..... All the locals get together Saturday mornings with the Lombos  and Ferraris.   Some few older cars but mostly look at me and look what I have.  Unfortuantely most of these people really do not have much understanding about their cars except for speed and cost.  I showed up in my Jaguar E type....some of those guys did not know what it was.   Most thought it  was a Porsche....LOL.

Abe

Edited by abe2002tii

Yes, use Premium 91 or 93 in all my BMWs.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Yeah 91 for me. You can use any for most 02s, but the car will need to be tuned for that. Lower octane=less advance because of knocking?  I think that’s the concept. So use what you tube the car with. In newer EFI cars with knock sensors and things like that higher octane like 100 can be a nice boost once the cars ecu adjusts. Used to use it in my 996 Carrera 4 occasionally. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Useless without (dynamic) compression...

In a lower (under 10:1, typically) compression

engine, it will make less power.

Ayup.

t

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

13 hours ago, TobyB said:

Useless without (dynamic) compression...

In a lower (under 10:1, typically) compression

engine, it will make less power.

Ayup.

t

I've been using the German Premium here since my rebuild  (98 octane) with 9.5-1 with a Schrick 292 camshaft, running 38 degrees full advance... just to spoil her. 

I haven't gotten around to having it tuned (and most likely won't till spring since they salt like it's going out of style here) but I am curious just how low of fuel I could get away with my setup... fuel is NOT cheap here.

I actually lie to myself that a liter is the same as a gallon volume wise.... makes it more palatable. Hah.