• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euro Rear Bumper Conversion Base/Spacer

kbmb02

For those who’ve done a euro rear bumper conversion of a 74-76 car (and, this may relate to roundie rear bumpers as well).

For which application is part #23 used or required, as shown in diagram below? It’s part # 51125470065

It appears to me a function - or, result of the part - is the bumper is moved further off the rear panel of the car (by about 1/4”). 

Add: If I recall, there are at least two different types of ‘ends’ of the roundie bumpers; one with an integral backing plate (for lack of a better term), and another version without. Perhaps the part #23 is used on corners without the plate?

Thanks in advance. -KB

9334F554-3329-41A9-B42A-6F74534E5127.jpeg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, BarneyT said:

Ken I think it works on both kinds of bumpers and serves to spread the mounting load from bumper to mount on car over a larger area...Barney

Thanks, Barney. Later I’ll get down some other ends I have, which I believe have the ‘load spreading’ function welded into the bumper. In the meantime, fun with protective and alignment tape...

6CA8A064-8964-4337-9217-3A6F85A48955.jpeg

A better way to spread the load and keep a minor impact on your new chrome bumper from bending the body sheet metal is to cut a 3/16" or 1/4" steel plate about 4" x 6"--large enough to cover the mounting holes and extend several inches beyond.  

Drill and ovalize holes to match the holes in the bodywork, paint it black and then bolt it between the bumper brackets and the body.  Use sealer between the plate and the body to keep rust from forming in the space between plate and body.  It's no 5 mph bumper (or even 2 1/2 mph) but it will protect from careful Braille parkers.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I don't know about spreading the mounting load, but IMO it's main purpose is to correctly position the bumper contour to the mounting bracket so the bumper ends correctly align with the quarter panels.  I found this is a critical factor when trying to mount a reproduction stainless bumper.  If the bracket is not used the bumper is likely to contact the body.  Mike has a valid suggestion to add a spacer to gain a little more protection.  I even added a reinforcement plate on the inside of the trunk--it's only two (maybe three?) layers of sheet metal comprising the mounting area.