• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member - Chicagoland - '76 2002

TMV2002

Hello Everyone, 

I just thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself to the group since I just brought my first 2002 home. It's a '76, and it's a bit rough around the edges. The car was Polaris Silver originally, bit it was poorly painted white at some point. The PO decided that the best course of action was to vinyl wrap the car, and I have to agree that it really improves the overall presentation of the car.

The car has a new Weber 32/36, Ramair filter, new alternator, and new dual row radiator and is a very solid driver as is. I live in the western suburbs of Chicago so the biggest draw for this car was the lack of rust. There is a little daylight coming thru the spare tire location, but that's it. Floor pans where replaced at some point along with the rocker panels.

A little about myself and my plans for the car. My name is Tony and I've been into cars since I was 5. The German car obsession came when I purchased an '83 Porsche 928, back when I was 17. The car was $2,500 and it needed everything. My Dad and grandfather helped me keep it on the road and taught me innumerable things about working on cars. Fast forward a little bit and I picked up a '92 525it. It's been a labor of love and I love taking the car on highway trips. Two years ago I swapped in a 5 speed and 3.23LSD from an E36 M3 and that really improved the car overall. Better response, faster acceleration, more engaging, and better MPG.

My plans for the 2002 are largely to drive and enjoy it. I'd love to do an electric fan conversion, pop some door cards on it, and sort the fuel fume issue, in the short term. In a few years I'm hoping that I'll be able to setup this car for vintage racing, most likely SVRA, but time will tell when that happens.

I think I've rambled long enough. Glad to be part of the 2002 community! I'm sure you all have plenty of wisdom to pass on to me.

Regards,

Tony Whittenhall

IMG_20171216_104237.jpg

00e0e_dkXSuDCzcy8_600x450.jpg

IMG_20171216_104224.jpg

IMG_20171216_104233.jpg

IMG_20171219_161004.jpg

IMG_20171216_103931.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome Tony! And not a bad looking car!  Certainly looks like the engine has been well looked after, noting the bosch blue coil, silicone coolant hoses, painted exhaust manifold and heat shield, and very clean looking carb.  Here's some tidbits to help get you started on you list of wants:

For the fan, don't skimp and buy the *right* quality Spal fan.  I think it's this 14" pusher here, but double check this here on the forums: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30102056/overview/

Lesser Autozone fans and the like just don't cut the mustard and just plain don't flow enough air effectively cool the car in summertime temperatures. Make sure to power it via a relay, but I'll leave the control method up to your personal preference (thermistor in the radiator fins, coolant temp switch, etc.)

For the door cards, you can get new plywood panels or the complete cards new from the guys at Aardvark Racing: https://www.2002parts.com/

If you get just the panels you should be able to find a set of cards here on the FAQ that you can clean up and then install on the new panels.

You plan to drive and enjoy is perfect, it's what 2002s are best at, so get to it and post back here with any issues and we'll help you get them sorted!

Thanks for the kind words and stellar advice! Admittedly, I don't know the best places to look for parts, but I was familiar with Ireland Engineering before making the purchase. I was looking at their aluminium door cards http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/02drcrd.html as a solution, but I will have to investigate more.

I also need to adjust the shifter on this car. Definitely more play than I would like, but the PO mentioned that there might be some spare parts in the bins he gave me. Guess I need to catalog that stuff so I know what does and doesn't need buying. Thanks again for the help.

Ireland is a great parts source, though I didn't know they offered those aluminum door panels, very cool!

A shifter bushing rebuild is worth it but can be a little involved, as it normally involves dropping the driveshaft in order to get to everything on the underside, just so you know what you're in for.  Here's a link to the tech article on that job and Ireland offers a kit with all of the parts for it:

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/02shftkit.html

3 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

A shifter bushing rebuild is worth it but can be a little involved, as it normally involves dropping the driveshaft in order to get to everything on the underside, just so you know what you're in for. 

I've rebuilt shifter linkages without having to remove the driveshaft--a little more difficult as you have to reach around both driveshaft and exhaust, but do-able.  And it'll make a BIG difference in how the car shifts.

Now that the tech stuff is out of the way, welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.  Lotsa 02ers in the Chicago area--and they have an owners group; I suspect someone will be contacting you.

And...put 26-29 April 2018 on your calendar--that's the MidAmerica 02Fest in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.  Between 50 & 60 02s show up every year for a couple of days of driving back roads, tech stuff, eating and general camaraderie.  There are usually folks from Chicago who attend; you can caravan with 'em--and meet up with our Dayton caravan en route.  Watch for a posting sometime in late Feb or early March...And if you're more adventurous, there's Vintage (for all pre 1992 BMWs) in Asheville NC in late May.  

cheers, and again, welcome.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll have to see how my schedule looks when these events are closer. I'd love to make it out to the bigger meet ups, but I might be staying local since I have a 1 year old at home. As I said before, looking forward to all the knowledge you guys have, and becoming part of the group.

• Like 2

TMV2002: If you are interested in a day trip to Ohio, the RGB (Rivertown Gearbusters) would certainly welcome you and your 2002. We are having an off-season gtg on January 13th at Kreimer's Bier Haus in Cleves, OH. (Near Cincinnati) Look us up on Facebook... You'd also enjoy Cars and Coffee at FUEL. (Run by Jason Gipson and family; it's along River Rd. just east of Cincinnati.)

IMG_0967.JPG

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Hey Jim,

I really appreciate the invite and would love to go. But I think I might need to turn it down this year. The blower motor is in-op, so I'm not sure I'm ready for a 5 hour drive without heat in January. Also, I'd like to get a little more familiar with the car before making a trip like that and with the holidays I'm not likely to get much time behind the wheel before that. Thanks again for including me.

nice squarie you've got.  nice pictures too.  and welcome to the group!

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Hey iinca, 

The interior is black, but I appreciate the offer.The picture below gives you a pretty good idea of the current state of the interior. I didn't realize that the grill was from a roundie. I guess I was to fixated on the euro bumper. 

2002-3.jpg