• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 2002

Rgarrett22

The proof of manufacturing order is the VIN: 1660156. That's the 156th 2002 down the assembly line.

Email the VIN to BMW Archives and request their data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com).  No charge. Generally just takes one to three business days.  They will confirm (a.) the actual manufacturing date -- VIN 1660016 was manufactured January 15, 1968 -- (b.) the date that title (ownership) passed from BMW AG to Hoffman Motors Corp of NYC, and (c.) the original color -- presumably Granada.

Buyers will swoon, because this is a very early 2002!

Oh, please post your BMW Archives data email here: we love to see the dates!

GLWS,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I am curious about the oil and air pressure stickers underneath the bonnet (left side) and the coolant sticker on the left side shown in the pictures. Is that the correct placement of these stickers from the factory or did someone re-position them?  Was the coolant sticker even used in 1968?

Thanks

1968 BMW 2002    2003 BMW 325Ci    2013 BMW X5

3 hours ago, Sal Savino said:

I am curious about the oil and air pressure stickers underneath the bonnet (left side) and the coolant sticker on the left side shown in the pictures. Is that the correct placement of these stickers from the factory or did someone re-position them?  Was the coolant sticker even used in 1968?

Thanks

Good question.

The coolant & battery stickers were not on the early cars, and, no oil sticker either according to the pics that I have. I'll have to investigate when they started to appear.

Tyre pressure sticker was to the left of the fuse box and the fuse sticker to the right of the fuse box in the plenum by the windshield. For USA only were Emission & Compliance stickers in the passenger side plenum by the windshield.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

4 hours ago, Sal Savino said:

Thanks

All the panels where there are stickers today have been re-painted — notice the heavy red paint over screw heads that were originally cadmium or zinc plated .  Since I don’t see evidence of masking on any of these stickers, I’m presuming they are modern repros applied on top of the re-paint.

I’d go with whatever Les comes up with!  ☺️

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)