• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with rear shock installation

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, I'm a novice....I've got new Boge shocks to install. Where is the best place to support the rear end whilst I am working on it, and what does the trailing arm look like since I'm supposed to support that with a jack as well?

Guest Anonymous

jack the car up, because is super solid the you put two jacks stand to hold it up. The trailarms is were the lower shock mount is attached. All you do is loosen the nut, then you jack the trailarm a little bit so you can pull the lower shock mount of the stud, then you slowly lower the trailarm because the spring is going to fall. Now you release the locknut on top drop shock out now you are ready to replace it, make sure that you put the spring rubber stops, so they rest against the shock and torque the nuts to spec.If you want you can cut the springs to lower the car.

well I hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous

1. Loosen lug nuts on both rear wheels

2. Jack up car, support on jackstands placed under the rear crossmember (presumably it's not rusted!)Make sure it's good and firm!

3. Remove both rear wheels

4. take your hydraulic jack, or a small scissors jack and place it under the trailing arm. That's the thing that the bottom of the road spring is seated on and the shock is bolted to. Crank the jack so that the trailing arm is under just a little tension.

5. remove the lower shock mounting nut. Careful--don't break it off. You might have to soak it in a little penetrating oil unless you have a nice unrusted California car! In Ohio, we soak 'em!

6. Go inside the trunk, pop off the rubber dust cover atop the rear shock tower and remove the uppper shock mounting nut. There are usually two, locked together. Carefully observe just how much the rubber mounting grommet is compressed, and also note the position of washers, grommets etc.

7. Back in the wheel well, pull the shock off it's lower mount and pull down. It should come right out.

8. Reinstall the same way you removed, making sure the metal and rubber washers, spacers, grommets etc are in the same order and tighted down the same amount.Leave the upper mounts too loose, and they'll rattle and bang around. Drives you nuts!

Now do the other side in half the time!

BTW--you have to support the trailing arm with a jack so (1) the spring doesn't pop out and (2) you don't damage the CV joints in the rear axle by putting them at too much of an angle.

See...it's not so hard, and you won't be a novice when you're done.

Cheers

Mike

Nevada '69 (on its fourth set of shocks)

Sahara '73 (on its second set)

• 15 years later...