• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing M10 Cams

2002#3

10 hours ago, ShakeyC said:

If just cam swap you can do it with the head on, i done this at dyno and trackside without special tools but with extra pair of hands can be done in 15mins.  Remove dizzy, undo gearbox and engine mounts, jack front of engine upwards and rotate it upright, whilst gearbox drop down and you can clock the cam outwards without removing radiator or anything else. Not the correct way to do it and you miss all vital inspection points but its possible 

This, fine sir, is commendably ballsy. Cheers. 

But as Preyupy mentioned, is a pretty quick affair to pull a head in less than 30 minutes if you know what you're doing. Hell, even the first time I did this it was still under an hour sweating bullets. (the last few times just became a game of 'how fast can I'. Its easy, minus forgetting the oiler bar that one time. OOPS!)

If you're going to swap cams... do it right. New rockers, inspect rocker shafts, springs, guides, valve job if needed. 

But if I were in your shoes, and you wanted to do a 292 or smaller journaled cam, source a good head casting, and take your time to accumulate parts. I'd wager not a whole lot is usable other than perhaps the valves themselves, and perhaps rocker-shafts and small hardware. I'm guessing if you're running a 316 you're running dual valve springs? You'll want stock or Schrick single HD's, anything bigger is overkill and creating un-necessary wear, and with a 292 there's no real sense in running it up past 6500 anyway. 

Then when the time comes and you've it all together, swap it out in the morning and you'll be driving by night-fall. Throw the whole 316 head package on the classifieds and offset your costs. 

Edited by 2002Scoob

If it was me, and it was a nice car I planned to keep, I wouldn't do just "cam and associated parts"

Without specific info on engine, I would rebuild entire engine and know all is fine for many years to come.

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

You can lift the head off a 2002 with the intake manifold with carburetor(s), AND the exhaust manifold with downpipe (or header) still attached.  Disconnect the exhaust system from the down pipe, remove the support bracket at the back of the transmission, disconnect the water hose at the back of the head and any on the intake manifold (with a 316 cam I am assuming you are running side draft carbs so you don't need to worry about this).  Remove the valve cover and upper timing cover, remove the 4 bolts holding the sprocket to the cam and move the sprocket off the cam.  You can either leave the sprocket with the chain on it resting on the chain guide and tensioner or remove the sprocket and let the chain fall. Disconnect the fuel lines, throttle linkage, and  wiring for the distributor and oil pressure sender.  Remove the distributor cap and rotor.   Remove the head bolts and lift the head off. 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

...and you can do this at the track, swap the broken rocker, and get it back out for the next session.

And that's with a header that you have to unhook from the head. 

If you leave the head ON, you're now also fighting that big cam- the rocker pusher tool can run the

intake and exhaust valves together before you have enough clearance to get a big bearing cam out.

It can also run the valves into the piston crowns, so you have to work off TDC, and then re- time

the cam somehow after installation.

I tried taking the cam out of a parts engine once, just to see how it was, and I convinced myself pretty

quickly that popping the head off was by far the easier and safer option. 

But we're all different...

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hey Larry,  Let me know if you need anything for this.  While I don't have a Tii specific head, I may be able to help.  You should have my number. 

Aren't you tinkering over at Gadberry's place? He's like the I.E of Cincinnati, but with all his 2002s rusted away. 

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002