• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Group 26R battery for 1973 Tii unique battery tray

seattle2002tii

My post is FYI for anyone with 73 Tii that has hold down bracket on the short side of battery tray (next to master cylinder).  Few group 26R batteries seem to have hold down tabs on the short side. only on long side.  I found could easily adapt the Exide 26RX for the 73 Tii battery tray.  The short side tabs on the Exide are mounted higher up on the side, but I was able to use the newer BMW stock hold down bracket by adding a spacer under the bracket to raise up.  On the other side I fabricated some simple "L" brackets and attached them just above the battery tray to catch the Exide side tabs (can't see in my installation photos).  Exide has two models for group 26R batteries, a regular 26R and the "extreme" 26RX.  Purchased at local auto parts store for $112.  Higher priced than other 26R batteries, but others brands in my area didn't have the side tabs.  I believe Bosch 26R also has the side mount tabs, but wasn't available anywhere in my area.

Photo that shows the side tabs here - https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/automotive-marine-hardware/automotive-batteries-chargers-jumpers/exide-reg-26rx-global-extreme-automotive-battery/p-1444430134910.htm

1 (5).jpg

1 (4).jpg

This issue is common to all U.S. 1972 and 1973 tii's.  Do U.S. 1974 tii's use the same short-end hold-down?

On my '73, I'm using an Exide Classic, Part # 26RC, which has the ledge on the short end, and works perfectly with the stock hold-down.  Mine is 3-ish years old.  Does it still remain available?

Regards,

Steve

IMG_3750.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

This issue is common to all U.S. 1972 and 1973 tii's.  Do U.S. 1974 tii's use the same short-end hold-down?

Steve,

I have a "74 Tii.  My hold down is on the long side closest to the K-fish.  I believe Carl's "74 Tii has the same arrangement.

Best,

Glen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen Karr said:

Steve,

I have a "74 Tii.  My hold down is on the long side closest to the K-fish.  I believe Carl's "74 Tii has the same arrangement.

Best,

Glen

That makes sense, Glen.  I suspected all square taillights used the long-side hold down, but just plain didn’t know if the tii’s were an exception.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)