• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

alpha (no) comparison

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

talked to the owner of a 74 GTV ( gold) that i have seen/heard blasting around my neighborhood for a couple years. gorgeous car cosmetically (redone leather, etc..).. but the engine! he says " stage 6" engine producing 196 hsp ( he say at rear wheels, but...). he was not up on the specifics of the engine ( enthusiastic checkbook, left the technical stuff to the shop : total expenditure in the mid 40s) but he said he has around 13k in the engine alone. no mention of suspension, brakes, etc. car looked standard ride height and no aero add ons. anyway, i know a lot of us really like those cars and this was an excellent one. parks in cow hollow ( sfo) most days.those gtvs are sooo nice...///

Guest Anonymous

I had a '79 Spider for about 12 years. It wasn't the best year for engine since it had the Spica mechanical injection instead of the dual carbs.

But, the driveability of the engine/transmission (5-speed) combnination was great. A little better than the 2002 engine/tranny combo. And, its the benchmark for good sounding exhaust notes.

But, I sold it and still have my 2002 (owned since '83) because the Alfa was just not that great to work on. The 2002 is worlds better for the hack mechanic and parts are cheaper and more available.

But, those old GTVs could tempt me again...

Guest Anonymous

I have a 72 and love it...though I have not driven it in like 6 years, I love just looking at it...given the choice, I would take a nice 72tii over the alfa...(02's are generally tougher but the Giulia is a little prettier and has some cool stuff like 5speed gearbox and 4 wheel discs and a twin cam engine...all stock. Also stock they came loaded with fine italian rust which is much more common than German rust found on 2002's...) thankfully I have both so I dont have to make the choice!

Matt