• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 2002 Automatic Roundie

Goldie

40 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

The BAT auto has a few issues and owner has had it a month.:(  

Dealer did the body.

Odd that the so-called new Owner has kept the previous Dealer's advertising plates on.

Dealer that did the work (incl pulling out the dinged nose panel) was Del Mar Auto llc, Venice Beach.

5a5967fc3e38e_42830641g.thumb.jpg.c338681026ff5d8fad29ea7fc5a381f1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, EuroOhTwo said:

I don't know about you guys, BUT.... I think a lot more of my wife than to allow her to drive a $5k beater. Especially an old '02.

That CL one is a joke..."car runs and drives fine has a little surface rust but nothing major" ...well I'm sorry but when the rust is showing BIG TIME under the windows, you have big structural problems too.

Pay 10k (maybe more) for the Chamonix one on BaT and then two things will happen that will improve your life...

1. Your wife knows you love her...

2. You won't have to pony up a thou per month to keep it on the road.

Been there, done that, too old to repeat the same mistake twice.

cheers,

George

Good for you man! 

Lots of love,

The Wife ✌️

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

here is something interesting ..

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bmw/2002/2060426.html?refer=alert

https://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/5808/1973-bmw-2002

and while i think the red airfilter is tacky

and the front fender is oddly angled...

and it looks like it has a dash-cap 

but ... it looks ready to drive ...

i think this could make her very very happy

heck ... it would make me very very happy

and ... if you are creative ... or have an 'executive account' ... you could finance it and she would never know it was more than your budget!

you only live once (or trice)

• Thanks 1

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

Rob... FWIW... I thought the Chamonix '02 auto on Bat was a better car than the auction price got to. Reserve was probably around 10k. It had issues sure, but not as many as the Craigslist jokers asking big $$ for molested cars with obvious rust that are beyond economical saviour. I look at how original a car is, and that Chamonix looked like a car at the point of waiting to be saved by a caring owner. But I've been wrong before. Just sayin'...

George

I have a good friend who has worked on cars his whole life take a look at the listing and he expressed the following concerns with it: 

"While there seems to be a lot of things done on this one which is good there are is still a lot not right with it.  My major concern for you is the body.  From what I can tell there is bondo on just about every panel on the car and they did a quick spray with a heavy coat of acrylic paint to cover the flaws/errors.  Looking at the front of the car is obvious that the upper body panel above the grill has no seams which means it has been filled in with bondo ( fiberglass).  That is why you are seeing cracks in the paint in the picture with the key.   The left rear wheel opening has been completely reshaped with bondo as well.  You can see the sharp edges as apposed to a metal panel with a rolled lip.   I think that if you inspected the body closely you will find this all over the car.  Driver side door misaligned with front fender and rear quarter in the opposite direction which suggest body torquing.  Looks like all the door/window seals would need replacing and on."

Someone on this board was also nice enough to send me pics from when it was on Craigslist from the dealer.  

I think many on BaT saw the same things which is why it didn't go over $8100.  Too many things to be concerned about especially at the absolute best it screams cheap flip, and at the worst, the owner got hold of it and realized he was in way over his head with the sunroof, etc.. and is lying about the condition of the car.

I've been looking for a 2002 (manual or auto) for a couple months now and am kicking myself for not going after one that was in PA (blue) about a month ago.. It was a bit over my original budget but it was beautiful and I should have test drove it since I'm in the DC area.  There is a new one on BAT which is gorgeous (Inka color) but will probably go for big $$$.

Edited by Rob Mancuso

"Looking at the front of the car is obvious that the upper body panel above the grill has no seams which means it has been filled in with bondo ( fiberglass).  That is why you are seeing cracks in the paint in the picture with the key."

...hey Rob, not sure your friend is correct on this if he means the small vertical seams that would be next to the key in the photo on BaT and shows a small vertical crack. These seams were filled at the factory with lead soldering, I believe, and my pristine '73 does not show any seam, nor will ANY original factory car.

...George

14 hours ago, Rob Mancuso said:

George - You may be correct, but I don't think a newly painted car (within 5 months) should have cracks.  It also may depend on the year of the car.  I've seen a few where the seam is showing and they are later models (non-roundie).

The experts will chime in here. That said: To my knowledge, the upper fender seam was leaded closed at the factory (with a small tack weld or two, from what I've seen).  If the seam is showing - such as in the photos above, the fender has been off, repaired incorrectly (aka not to OEM spec), and/or replaced. -KB