• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Renown USA X Speedhunters collaboration steering wheel

Pastelblue'02

Price: $1000

Description:

Considering letting go of this super rare and pretty steering wheel. Renown USA, steering wheel company out of California, only made 100 of these select collaboration steering wheels. I have number 45, included would be the original box, carrying bag, hardware, horn button and Momo hub for a 2002. This model is called the 100 because of its 100mm depth. It has a 350mm diameter. Wrapped in top grain leather with a silver, black and white tri-stitch. Only one of these has been previously put up for sale on the market since they were released and it sold for $1000, so that’s where my number came from. Open to offers!

thanks,

Aaron

3DB63BC4-C35D-469E-A894-A64A0C156F98.jpeg

09775403-B14F-4066-96DC-8365D859F28B.jpeg

10BA970D-768E-47CB-A0D4-4FEED53871D8.jpeg

7E29647D-C765-4416-899E-EA2812A6143B.jpeg

887C9ADA-C655-4BCE-ACE5-28331DF265D7.jpeg

Edited by Pastelblue'02

42 minutes ago, Mike_stanceworks said:

No offense to you, but to any buyers: this is a cheap Momo Prototipo knockoff made in China or Taiwan. Renown wheels are notoriously weak, and this is fancy branding on a bad product and it’s not worth $100, let alone $1000.  

Please, tell us how you really feel.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

5 minutes ago, danco_ said:

Hahaha thank you man. Truly not trying to scam or pull a fast one on anyone. Just stating what I saw one go for online the other day. I don’t race cars so I know nothing about renown’s steering wheel strength, but I guess I do now! Ha. 

24 minutes ago, danco_ said:

Always speak my mind, as you and everyone else knows, for better or worse.

18 minutes ago, Pastelblue'02 said:

Hahaha thank you man. Truly not trying to scam or pull a fast one on anyone. Just stating what I saw one go for online the other day. I don’t race cars so I know nothing about renown’s steering wheel strength, but I guess I do now! Ha. 

Let me be clear in saying I don't think you are trying to scam or mislead anyone. I put that on Renown. It's a company run by a man that is admittedly very talented when it comes to branding and marketing, and through his efforts and talents, he has led the masses to believing this products are something they are not.

I do wish you luck with the sale - and if these wheels are pulling $1000, power to you. They are admittedly "rare" and do sport branding by SpeedHunters. I see their mass appeal.

But I do feel obligated to put out there that Renown wheels are all cheaply made Momo knockoffs, priced well over the $25 they cost from Alibaba. I also believe they are unsafe. Apologies if my post is offensive - I see how it comes across that way. My only intention is to keep other board members from being burned on a $1000 wheel which they may be under the impression is much higher build quality than it is in actuality.

Edited by Mike_stanceworks

12 minutes ago, Pastelblue'02 said:

Please don't take my comment as if I'm taking sides. 

My recommendation would be to remove this entire post (because it will net you nothing but harsh comments - some true, some driven by emotion) and sell the wheel on ebay or another venue associated more towards crowds that prefer Renown wheels in their cars. Maybe e30 or e36 or whoever runs these wheels. 

• Like 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

20 minutes ago, Mike_stanceworks said:

I also believe they are unsafe.

Would you care to elaborate? We're all interested in safety.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

4 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Would you care to elaborate? We're all interested in safety.

The wheel's center is a cheaply made one, without the structural rigidity found in a quality steering wheel. 

While this is not a Renown wheel in the video, it showcases why low-quality wheels are important to avoid.

With a brand name like Renown USA, don't be fooled, the wheels are not made in the USA. They are Chinese/taiwanese made wheels from a factory that produces all the knockoffs you'll find on eBay. They're just dolled up.

I have a Renown wheel here at the shop, and the real Prototipo it is based off. I'll let you guess which one flexes in hand and which one does not.

7 minutes ago, Mike_stanceworks said:

The wheel's center is a cheaply made one, without the structural rigidity found in a quality steering wheel. 

While this is not a Renown wheel in the video, it showcases why low-quality wheels are important to avoid.

With a brand name like Renown USA, don't be fooled, the wheels are not made in the USA. They are Chinese/taiwanese made wheels from a factory that produces all the knockoffs you'll find on eBay. They're just dolled up.

I have a Renown wheel here at the shop, and the real Prototipo it is based off. I'll let you guess which one flexes in hand and which one does not.

I guess I expecting some damning evidence as, apparently, you joined our forum just for this Seller's ad.

Les

FAQ Member #17

4 hours ago, 02Les said:

I guess I expecting some damning evidence as, apparently, you joined our forum just for this Seller's ad.

I was sent a link, felt compelled to reply. 

I’m just trying to provide facts about the product. I know steering wheels pretty well, and I’ll stake my reputation on the truthiness of my comments regarding quality. 

4 hours ago, Pastelblue'02 said:

can someone please enlighten me on how to delete this post? can't seem to find it anywhere. New found knowledge in mind, better not sell it. Would not want to cause any harm in the 2002 community.

I don't see any reason for you to delete the post(s). I think this thread serves to further educate the '02 community.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

48 minutes ago, Mike_stanceworks said:

I was sent a link, felt compelled to reply. 

I’m just trying to provide facts about the product. I know steering wheels pretty well, and I’ll stake my reputation on the truthiness of my comments regarding quality. 

Then I guess you've seen this by Steve (it's a couple of years old)

Renown Steering wheels

Scott from Renown sent us a wheel this week so I thought Id post my thoughts on his product.
I got the silver Monaco with perforated leather.
I’m going to admit I was a little skeptical of what Id end up with at this price point. The wheel weighs 2.6 ounces with horn button. I physically tried to twist and flex the wheel in my hands and laid it on the floor and put my weight on the center of the wheel to see what it would do. No ill effects.
If you’ve ever been in an R32 this perforated leather appears to be identical to what VW uses.
Stitching is done well and is smooth. I don’t know anything about stitching material so I can’t comment on what is used and of its quality but to the layman’s eye its fine.
Scott may be able to give you more specifics on that. This is strictly personal preference but I think on next wheel I will get the black spokes. This is an attractive wheel in all regards but black would suit me better from an aesthetics point of view.
My only other complaint, and this is minor is the installation instructions. On his site he suggests using a zip tie to attach the horn wire. My preference would be to simply drill a small hole in your wheel hub and attach that wire with a self tapping screw for a more permanent professional install.
Bottom line is, at this price point... This is a nice product that seems strong. I’m sure some of you have seen the Youtube video of cheap aftermarket wheels flexing and deforming.. This does not appear to have any of those characteristics.

blunttech

Les

FAQ Member #17