• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optima Battery

SydneyTii

Guys what's the latest opinion of Optima Red and Yellow top batteries please.

I note from previous reviews that there appears to have been a change in manufacturing location, which has resulted in a quality issue, has the quality issue been fixed or are they still questionable?

Has anyone got fairly recent experience?

They offer a 36month warranty, which may of may not be worth the paper it's written on?

cheers.

If I remember correctly it has been rumored on other boards that optima moved its Red top manufacturing facility to mexico a few years ago and since then they have not been as reliable.  The Yellow tops still seem to have a solid reputation. (last I checked). 

For a daily driver isn't the yellow top the one you would want? The red tops are starter batteries. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Supposedly the red tops are best used as a starting battery but I see no difference in starting performance between the two.  I prefer the yellow tops on my vintage cars because with only a few accessories, the alternators are barely adequate if at all.  The yellow tops hold a deeper charge and are better at recovering from discharge.

Red top in the trunk of my '72tii....installed it in 2004 and it's been on a Battery Tender its entire life...still totally FINE after almost 14 years! :)

• Like 1

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

On 1/10/2018 at 4:55 AM, 02fanatic said:

Red top in the trunk of my '72tii....installed it in 2004 and it's been on a Battery Tender its entire life...still totally FINE after almost 14 years! :)

Is it on a TEP brace I may have seen this one on here? 

I live your Superlites, you cant buy that style any more ive spoken to performance wheels here in Aus as well and im not sure I like the new ones now. 

Mines a 74Tii (maybe 73 export) in Chamonix so I know they will look good on it thanks your posts.

I bought a Red top, purchased in Boulder Colorado (from Art Krill) in the early 1990s for my 72. I added lots of extra lights, cruise control, electric cooling fan, electric fuel pump, heavy duty stereo with amp, etc.  I upgraded my alternator to a 90 amp. 

Battery lasted over 14 years, despite my leaving the lights on a few times and totally draining the battery.  Very happy with it, but this is old news, not recent experience.  Would not hesitate to buy another.

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, SydneyTii said:

Is it on a TEP brace I may have seen this one on here? 

I live your Superlites, you cant buy that style any more ive spoken to performance wheels here in Aus as well and im not sure I like the new ones now. 

Mines a 74Tii (maybe 73 export) in Chamonix so I know they will look good on it thanks your posts.

I have posted up pics of my trunk before, yes...but it's been awhile.  I love the brace, as it doesn't require drilling any holes in the shock towers.  The guy stopped making them shortly after I bought mine (many years ago).  As for the superlites, yes awesome wheels...great quality.  I don't care for the plastic center caps, but they are ok.  Right now I am not running the center caps & I like the aggressive look better!  I was afraid that these wheels were nla in the USA anymore.  If I recall correctly, I bought them from a supplier out west (eg. Nevada or Arizona...just can't remember).  They are Australian made, correct.

• Like 1

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...