• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optima Battery

SydneyTii

5 minutes ago, rudolpholaspari2002 said:

I have a Yellow Top in my Tii - works great; D35 model. If you have normal 02 it would easily fit as the Tii has a slightly smaller battery box due to the different master cylinder/booster.

Thanks for that. How tight is the fit on a tii?

5 minutes ago, LbRex said:

Thanks for that. How tight is the fit on a tii?

Its closest on the front of the car side towards the middle, but definitely not a problem at all. It's definitely the biggest one that will fit a Tii and I wouldn't hesitate to use another one. It's the second one I've had in my car over the past 20 years, the first was also a Yellow top and lasted until 2018. Mine is a 73 Tii by the way.

Edited by rudolpholaspari2002
model

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

12 minutes ago, rudolpholaspari2002 said:

Its closest on the front of the car side towards the middle, but definitely not a problem at all. It's definitely the biggest one that will fit a Tii and I wouldn't hesitate to use another one. It's the second one I've had in my car over the past 20 years, the first was also a Yellow top and lasted until 2018. Mine is a 73 Tii by the way.

Thanks for that! Quick search showing $330, not a cheap upgrade, but sounds like worth it in the long run. 

would this battery be acceptable if moved to the trunk?

24 minutes ago, LbRex said:

Thanks for that! Quick search showing $330, not a cheap upgrade, but sounds like worth it in the long run. 

would this battery be acceptable if moved to the trunk?

Yep, no problem at all in the trunk too. You can get them for $250 direct from Optima or on Amazon for the same.

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

1 minute ago, Son of Marty said:

Why would you use a deep cycle battery for starting?

If you’re asking me, I’m trying to figure out if optima is the way to go, is D35 a deep cycle battery? What is the popular choice on batteries?

The optima is fine, the red top is their starting battery (made for high draw for a short period) the yellow top is their deep cycle (made for low draw over a long time, think lights etc. inside a rv) and blue is their marine line which is a combo of the other two.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Why would you use a deep cycle battery for starting?

Taken from Optimas website:

The YELLOWTOP® High Performance AGM Battery is one of the very few car batteries on the market that is truly dual-use. With premium starting power and impressive cycling capabilities, this heavy-duty battery is also perfect for today's vehicles that are packed with accessories. Its low internal resistance provides more consistent power output and faster recharge times.

Key benefits of OPTIMA YELLOWTOP® batteries include deep-cycling battery and OPTIMAL starting power, up to 3x longer service life, 15x more resistant to vibration, leak proof, mountable in virtually any position, maintenance-free, and more than 300 discharge / recharge cycles. OPTIMA YELLOWTOP® batteries work well for tractors or forklifts.

Here's what the web site said about the red top,

Key benefits of REDTOP® Batteries include the strongest starting burst, up to 3X longer life, 15X more vibration-resistant, virtually spill proof, mountable in virtually any position, and maintenance-free, with faster recharging and optimal starting power.

A 02 has about as small a accessory draw as possible so buy the cheaper battery that covers your needs which are starting power and ability to hold a charge over long periods.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

5 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Here's what the web site said about the red top,

Key benefits of REDTOP® Batteries include the strongest starting burst, up to 3X longer life, 15X more vibration-resistant, virtually spill proof, mountable in virtually any position, and maintenance-free, with faster recharging and optimal starting power.

A 02 has about as small a accessory draw as possible so buy the cheaper battery that covers your needs which are starting power and ability to hold a charge over long periods.  

A lot of people have added more electric accessories like stereo systems and driving lights that put more draw on the battery.

I also prefer to have more power than needed, comes in handy when you need to jump start a newer car or truck with a v8 engine or use a electric air pump, etc.

I do understand your point of view and respect it. Most people don't want spend $200-$250 on a battery when they can get a cheap one for $50 or under. 

3 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Most people don't want spend $200-$250 on a battery when they can get a cheap one for $50 or under. 

Where?  I don't think you can find an auto battery <$100 these days.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif