• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optima Battery

SydneyTii

To clarify my position in my 2018 golf altrac I would give the yellow top a lot of thought, but that car has at least 10 or more systems ( fans, door locks, computers, that don't turn off with the key, for a 02  you can turn off just about everything, and a optima red top is not a 50 dollar battery but more like 50 bucks cheaper than a yellow top the only real advantage to a agm battery is there ability to not self discharge as much as a lead acid battery so they can sit for a much longer period and still start. The main disadvantage of a deep cycle battery is they are slow to top off the charge and this draws output from the alternator longer, instead of having the alternator provide 100% of it's charge to carrying the load with the engine running which is ideal.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

12 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

Where?  I don't think you can find an auto battery <$100 these days.

Walmart 26 (or 26R, I forget), $ 55.00+core charge.  (bought about 3 months ago)  Call it disposable...  I AM uh.. Frugal.

NOT a daily driver car in my case, so battery failure isn't a big concern.  Battery life will probably be short, but it's cheap!

No problems with capacity or starting ooomph (although I haven't tried starting the car today at 0 deg. F)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Interstate AGM battery. My son just purchased two Interstate Batteries at Costco for $86. each for his Duramax.

Were both happy with Interstate, would recommend. I looked at Optima,still a very good battery but not the end all be all that they once were.  Would be happy with either one.

Edited by jp5Touring

These batteries are pretty darn heavy... and expensive, but not that far off other high-end batteries. If I lived in snow country, I might want a bigger battery, but in CA the winter temp doesn't warrant a heavy duty battery. I had thought about moving my battery to the trunk or under the rear seats but settled on this solution. The weight (17 battery_tray_solution.jpglbs) is negligible compared to the mainstream alternatives. battery_tray_solution.jpg

• Like 1

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

13 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

a optima red top is not a 50 dollar battery but more like 50 bucks cheaper than a yellow top

I said $200-$250, meaning $200 for the red top and $250 for the yellow top.

15 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

yellow top the only real advantage to a agm battery is there ability to not self discharge as much as a lead acid battery so they can sit for a much longer period and still start. The main disadvantage of a deep cycle battery is they are slow to top off the charge and this draws output from the alternator longer, instead of having the alternator provide 100% of it's charge to carrying the load with the engine running which is ideal.

Have had Optima Yellow tops in at least 5 different cars for at least 10 years each never had any alternator issues or charging problems. As long as you get a battery with enough CCA for your application and maintain your car you shouldn't have any issues.

Well I'm not saying you can't run a yellow top just fine, I'm only saying there might be a better chose for a car of the 02 vintage, but we are really just nit picking at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

6 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Well I'm not saying you can't run a yellow top just fine, I'm only saying there might be a better chose for a car of the 02 vintage, but we are really just nit picking at this point.

I like to pick at nits lol. I'm not trying to pick on you just offering my opinion.

• Like 1

Yawn......

Is $75 too much? 

Walmart 26R: $49

Battery Tender Jr: $25

1 gallon of distilled water: $1

But still occasionally dreaming of getting a "Mini Me" battery once in awhile. (only after I win a few over/under bets...which isn't often) 

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

7 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Yawn......

Is $75 too much? 

Walmart 26R: $49

Battery Tender Jr: $25

1 gallon of distilled water: $1

But still occasionally dreaming of getting a "Mini Me" battery once in awhile. (only after I win a few over/under bets...which isn't often) 

Cheers! 

That works if you have access to a power outlet and don't have the battery in the trunk or under the rear seat (charging lead acid batteries produces hydrogen gas which can be explosive).

Do you really put distilled water in your batteries? I've always just used tap water in batteries and radiators.

1 hour ago, 2002iii said:

(charging lead acid batteries produces hydrogen gas which can be explosive).

The catalyst in maintence free lead acid batteries re-combine the separated O2 and Hydrogen to reform water that drains beck into the cell, hence no water needs to be added.  Not like the old days.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

51 minutes ago, jimk said:

The catalyst in maintence free lead acid batteries re-combine the separated O2 and Hydrogen to reform water that drains beck into the cell, hence no water needs to be added.  Not like the old days.

Most cheaper batteries like the one I posted above from Walmart still have the caps for adding water and vent for gasses to escape, so not maintenance free. Why else would he buy a gallon of distilled water? To drink and wash his hands after installing the battery?

Yes the Wally World battery is not maintenance free, thus the $49 price. For care and feeding distilled water only. Really reduces lifespan and effectiveness of lead acid batteries if you use anything else like tap or deionized water. 

But hey if your tap water is working fine,  fill er’ up!  But you may think about testing it for lead and sulfates ?

Cheers!

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.