• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optima Battery

SydneyTii

53 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Yes the Wally World battery is not maintenance free, thus the $49 price. For care and feeding distilled water only. Really reduces lifespan and effectiveness of lead acid batteries if you use anything else like tap or deionized water. 

But hey if your tap water is working fine,  fill er’ up!  But you may think about testing it for lead and sulfates ?

Cheers!

My tap water here in Oakland CA comes straight from the base of the Sierra's and is very clean and doesn't contain any lead or sulfates. Also I don't use any lead acid batteries that require maintenance anymore, because I've ruined enough clothes with battery acid.

Wouldn't adding water with lead in it actually enhance a lead acid battery??

12 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Why else would he buy a gallon of distilled water? To drink and wash his hands after installing the battery?

He may not have known the difference in battery construction.  Like AGM batteries can vent gasses also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–acid_battery

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, jimk said:

He may not have known the difference in battery construction.  Like AGM batteries can vent gasses also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–acid_battery

Taken from Optima's website:

When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator), the OPTIMA will not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at excessive voltage levels or in extreme high-temperature conditions. In automotive applications, this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stays below 15 volts.

2 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Taken from Optima's website:

When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator), the OPTIMA will not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at excessive voltage levels or in extreme high-temperature conditions. In automotive applications, this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stays below 15 volts.

My reason for bring it up is that users assume AGM batteries are super safe with no risk having one under seats.  There are a number of ifs in Optima's statement.

8 minutes ago, jimk said:

My reason for bring it up is that users assume AGM batteries are super safe with no risk having one under seats.  There are a number of ifs in Optima's statement.

They are a bit safer, but no battery is truly risk free.

Assuming only makes an ass out of you and me lol. 

I never recommend putting a battery under the seats or anywhere in the passenger compartment. It's not worth the risk. I've seen enough burnt up cars from bad battery and/or stereo wiring to know not to take chances with electrical wiring and batteries.

If you really want to see some toxic gas look up what happens to a lithium lifePO4  car battery when it is pierced.

There were somewhere around 30 million V/W beetles made with the battery under the back seat and they are not really know to blow up or catch fire as long as you put the + terminal cover back on. I do agree on the lithium battery if they catch fire you need to just walk away preferably up wind, lithium batterys need run with in their temperature range which makes me worry about the folks that mount them under the hood (flame suit on). 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Assuming only makes an ass out of you and me lol. 

Speak for yourself.  I never used an AGM battery.

• Confused 1

My Tap water in Central California came from the same Sierra Mountains. Had to switch to bottled water once we tested it. Found a lot of pesticides and organophosphates floating in it. (That may explain a few things about my checkered childhood). 

What ever floats your boat, or your charge, if it works, it works.  If it blows up, it blows up. If it doesn't it, doesn't. 

(That's the DDT speaking)...

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

2 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

My Tap water in Central California came from the same Sierra Mountains. Had to switch to bottled water once we tested it. Found a lot of pesticides and organophosphates floating in it. (That may explain a few things about my checkered childhood). 

What ever floats your boat, or your charge, if it works, it works.  If it blows up, it blows up. If it doesn't it, doesn't. 

(That's the DDT speaking)...

Cheers! 

Your water probably travels to you in an open culvert in the central valley, which means it gets polluted and the pipes in your house might be leaching things into the water.

I've had my water tested and all copper pipes in my house.

I've been all over California and the water gets worse as you go south lol.

Also I'm sorry if offended anyone that was not my intention.