• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recaro Seat Adapters?

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to go with a flat adaptor.  I have Recaros on the Recaro adapters which I find sit higher than I would like.  The Wedge adapter does not appear to mount on the stock rails.  Their adapter mounts on the floor and their sliders mount on top under the seats.  It also means that there would be 2 grab rails in front of the sear (the other is for the knee bolsters).

Lee at Massive informed me that they needed 20 orders.  It appears I have just missed a group order which was placed recently.

Are there other possibilities?  I would have to find a machine shop to fabricate a set which may be pricey.

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

12 minutes ago, David Layton said:

I would love to go with a flat adaptor.  I have Recaros on the Recaro adapters which I find sit higher than I would like.  The Wedge adapter does not appear to mount on the stock rails.  Their adapter mounts on the floor and their sliders mount on top under the seats.  It also means that there would be 2 grab rails in front of the sear (the other is for the knee bolsters).

Lee at Massive informed me that they needed 20 orders.  It appears I have just missed a group order which was placed recently.

Are there other possibilities?  I would have to find a machine shop to fabricate a set which may be pricey.

Aardvark makes a steel adapter set modeled after the OEM E21 adapters. Definitely not flat, but your original adjusters will work properly. Higher seat height than the Massive adapters, which are much lighter and drop the seat noticeably. 

https://www.2002parts.com/bmw/recaro-seat-parts/rec-bracket-02.html

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

I have the e21 adaptors but seem a bit high for the hamstrings, working on a flat mount to get the lookin over the steering wheel look. It's time to go lowrider on the 16. 

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

@Healey3000:  I looked at your file adapter file.  If you want to center the seat behind the wheel, not only would you have to move the inboard seat mounting holes inward in 2.2 cm, but you would have to lengthen the tabs on the outboard brackets to allow you to move the seat mounts inward 2.2 cm.  This would also mean that there would be an issue of leverage stressing the outboard bracket over time.  I suspect that the shape of the e21 brackets and copies is for strength.

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

39 minutes ago, David Layton said:

@Healey3000:  I looked at your file adapter file.  If you want to center the seat behind the wheel, not only would you have to move the inboard seat mounting holes inward in 2.2 cm, but you would have to lengthen the tabs on the outboard brackets to allow you to move the seat mounts inward 2.2 cm.  This would also mean that there would be an issue of leverage stressing the outboard bracket over time.  I suspect that the shape of the e21 brackets and copies is for strength.

Indeed.  That bending moment is the reason why it isn't a simple matter of moving the holes.

I believe the proper way to do this is to use a complete ring of aluminum that extends around the front and rear of the seat.  Given that this is wasteful to make from a single sheet, I've been trying to figure out a better way to fabricate it.  Welding would work, but that skill is not in my repertoire, unfortunately.

• Like 1

The Wedge Bracket is a 4 piece affair.  I had thought of buying it without sliders to see if I could mount the bracket on top of the sliders and the e21 Recaro to the bracket.  The issue may where the holes for the bolts line up.  It depends on two things: 

1.  The holes on the top piece of the factory sliders are the same distance apart as the holes on the floor's bracket;

2.  The holes for mounting the sliders on top would line up with seat's mounting points.

Here is Jbaumshelter's photos of the Wedge mit sliders to illustrate these points.  I would consider going this route with wedge sliders over the 'tall' e21 brackets.IMG_0734.thumb.JPG.5e85ff74339da2cfc3d2b47054320a62.jpg.c0b96d058c74bc99eadf05f331b9dad9.jpg 

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

22 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

Indeed.  That bending moment is the reason why it isn't a simple matter of moving the holes.

I believe the proper way to do this is to use a complete ring of aluminum that extends around the front and rear of the seat.  Given that this is wasteful to make from a single sheet, I've been trying to figure out a better way to fabricate it.  Welding would work, but that skill is not in my repertoire, unfortunately.

But in the meantime you could make it out of a solid sheet- as proof of concept...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On the photo from Jbaumshelter, the one on the left is how the item is mounted with the bracket bringing the sliders beneath the seat, rather than brackets bridging the gap between the stock sliders and the seat.

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

On 4/13/2018 at 9:01 PM, David Layton said:

David,

I organized the GB you referenced. If you are interested I have a number of people who were late signing up that want to follow thru with placing an order with Lee. If you need some help putting this together, DM, me.

I should tell you its a lengthy process.....patience is a virtue.

Regards,

Mike