• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CV joint inner spacer/washer

echappe

I came to the conclusion earlier today to what your earlier posting is about. I have a set of early half shafts and 3 of later that I'm trying to get a good pair cleaned up greased and re-installed. Also have noted that the later shafts without the spacers also have a couple of ridges machined a third of the way down the shaft while the early are smooth. Real OEM shows that the CV joint itself is good for the 67-76 range so are the ID length of the early and late the same are they interchangeable with the only difference being that the early shafts need the spacer.

Thanks for your help

ernest

BTW i think I bought one of your Ebrake kits

Yes, the early shafts require a spacer. The early and late CV axles taken as a whole (CV joint plus shaft plus CV joint) are the same length. The shafts are identifiable by the presence or absence of the washer landing as seen in the image below. Top is the late shaft. Bottom is the early shaft. The washer landing is visible at the left of the grooved section in the early shaft. 

EC3CDD78-A9F4-48D8-AAAF-78030DBD82DB.jpeg

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”