• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trim Polishing (longish)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My '02 goes to paint shop later this month for a much needed strip and spray. I will put on new belt-line and lower rubber moldings once the paint is complete. My question revolves around the other trim pieces (quarter windows, top of door, etc) - any thoughts on polishing them and then clear-coating them? The pieces have no dents or dings they are just dull.

TIA

Guest Anonymous

All of that trim is anodized aluminum, just like the beltline trim. The anodized portion of the trim (a very thin outer layer) is quite hard. You might have some success using a metal polish to clean off the surface dirt and oxidation, but if your trim is dull due to micro-scratches, there is not a lot you can do.

Note that it is possible to polish the trim with a cloth buffing wheel on a bench grinder and the appropriate buffing compound, but it is a lengthy and painstaking process.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

Way too much!!!!!!! My car has a badly cracked metallic paint job - the PO said it was shot by a BMW dealer under a "recall program". I was given a range of $3000 to $5000 to completely strip the car, repair some quarter panel damage, fix some rot on the bottom of the doors, and shoot a multi-coat Glasurit paint job. This guy is a perfectionist, does phenominal work on '02's, and guarantees his work. From what I've read on various boards this may be a little steep but hey, it only costs twice as much to go first class! 8-)