• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMEON?? REALLY NLA?

mac

I bought the motor from Blunt. Got a new fan blade from Grainger. Total project under $100. It's a PITA to tear it all apart. If you want directions and part #'s from Grainger send me a PM. You have to drill out the bore to the exact size with a drill press. This guy sells all the parts you may possibly need for anything with the heater box. I highly recommend him. Or you can buy it all complete from him for $140. Here is the link:

https://prdesignsf.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fblower-motor

I belive someone posted awhile ago that the motor is identical to one used on a Porsche, and that it's actually cheaper from Porsche than BMW.  All you have to do is swap the fan onto the new motor, and if the old one is shot, it's easy to do without damaging the fan (you will ruin the motor, however but if it's shot, who cares?).  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yes that works, mine had a porsche motor in it. Wasn't installed correctly and caused it to burn our pre-maturely. However, I had to reverse the wires when I switched back to the new motor because the fan was spinning backwards. Of course I discovered this after installing it and had to take out the heater box again. :angry:

I imagine you could rebuild the motor as an alternative to purchasing a new one, or if you can’t get a new one anymore.  Most of these dead motors come back to life if you clean them up and lubricate the bearings.  Main problem is the poor design by bmw exposing the motor to the elements.  The early cars had a cover over the motor blocking out any moisture and dirt but they apparently stopped installing the cover on later cars.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Call me lazy, but I was able to lube the bearings (bushings?) with the fan still installed. by adding a length of weed eater fuel line between two straws.  It worked!   Maybe you could just call me lucky instead....  I now consider this part of the maintenance routine and expect to do it every couple of years, to keep my old fan happy.

001.thumb.JPG.24872be9033162f24e2db73b63216b9c.JPG011.thumb.JPG.0d00b70eb60e65cdfa32353c0f00186b.JPG

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

Call me lazy, but I was able to lube the bearings (bushings?) with the fan still installed. by adding a length of weed eater fuel line between two straws.  It worked!   Maybe you could just call me lucky instead....  I now consider this part of the maintenance routine and expect to do it every couple of years, to keep my old fan happy.

001.thumb.JPG.24872be9033162f24e2db73b63216b9c.JPG011.thumb.JPG.0d00b70eb60e65cdfa32353c0f00186b.JPG

Sorry, Tom,

We don’t call that lucky, we call that ingenious!

Best regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

22 hours ago, Russell74Fjord said:

Also the same motor was used on the German built, Ford Capris from the early 70's. 

Who had one of those ? I had two, 4 bangers, friend had the V6. 

I had a manual V6.  (very first stick for me) Not a performance machine, but a fun little car. Had a very funky carburetor on it.

Useless trivia: Our 2002's use the very same air filter.  

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.