• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Project/Original Window Stickers

Jbaumshelter

Get my second project this week. 1975 2002 with matching vin's and rebuilt motor and trans 40k ago. Spent the last couple of days changing all the fluids/brakes etc. This one needs some love on the outside with bad paint and rust. Had the same owner for 35 years! Runs like a stuck pig. I was pleasantly surprised to find the original window stickers!  I feel lucky to still have paid less for it than the original sales price. It's an automatic (Booo..) but that will entice my wife to drive it a little. Let the fun begin!

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Yep, it was sold in 2004 to the guy I got it from. Les, just curious if you saw the asking price. Maybe I don’t want to know. 

I didn't record the winning bid price. Was it the guy before him that owned it 35 years?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Wonder what happened to the $325 worth of "factory alloy wheels" on the auxiliary price sticker--that's only $65 each--a good deal even then, much less now!

Yours must have been sold after April 1975 when BMW NA took over (forcibly) from Hoffman Motors.

Happy tinkering

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Interesting, nylon brown skai (vinyl) must be what we affectionately call Gobi.  

I think BMW NA took over in January, I have many, many e9 build dates and some built in Dec 1974 show BMW NA as the customer, not Hoffman.

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

The seller stated that the guy before him owned it for 35 years. Gigantic stack of service receipts that I haven't gone thru yet but at a glance, they all appear to be in the same persons name. Yep, Gobi interior. Seats are trashed. The whole car appears to not have been stored very well. Sun rot seems to have killed the paint and the seats. All the fluids appeared to not have been changed for a long time. Actually the automatic trans cover seems so brittle that I decided to try and source a new one before I even service that. Nothing like pulling something apart that you can't put back together. 

I wish I know what happened to the "factory allow wheels". Makes me wonder if they pulled something over on the buyer or if they got trashed and switched out at some point. My guess, they got trashed and the current wheels were an inexpensive replacement. 

Replaced the flexible nylon coated fuel lines in the trunk and under the rear trunk area. Every since, I have a strong gas odor in the cabin. Dealt with that before and it can be a few different things. I was't there before so I'm thinking one of the lines I replaced was leaking and now it is dumping vapors into the trunk. Oh the joys of sorting things out. New brakes, rotors, calipers, bushings, shocks and struts next. 

1 hour ago, HBChris said:

...I think BMW NA took over in January, I have many, many e9 build dates and some built in Dec 1974 show BMW NA as the customer, not Hoffman.

+1

Similarly, I’ve seen BMW Archives emails naming BMW NA as the importer beginning in September 1974.  And the last Hoffman Motors Corp importation in my list is August 1974.

I don’t have enough data points to absolutely prove this....yet, but it is sufficient to start shifting my viewpoint on the hand-off from Hoffman Motors to BMW NA.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

FWIW....This is what I got from BMW archives yesterday:

The BMW 2002 Automatic US VIN 2382391 was manufactured on February 12th, 1975 and delivered on April 23rd, 1975 to the importer BMW of North America. The original colour was Pastellblau, paint code 044. 

Edited by Jbaumshelter
Posted info for wrong car