• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

valve stem suggestions

joebarthlow

I overindulged my E28 with metal Alpina valve stems for the Alpina wheels and two of them have slow leaks - my first experience with metal stems.  I'd go with a quality short rubber stem with metal cap.

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

24 minutes ago, golftii said:

installed these recently in factory alloys to good effect, so far so good

(after an older all-rubber stem literally blew out of the wheel on interstate, yikes)

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/valve-stem/36121119332/

good to know. what wheels did you install them on?

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

I have only used the regular short rubber stems with no issues. Always install new stems with new tires, they do age and eventually fail.

• Like 1

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

If you’re going metal stem - get brand name and metal-matched. Aluminum with aluminum barrels (like Rays) or Steel with steel rims. Key dimension for fitment is the diameter of the hole on the barrel. All quality metal stems are fit to the rim with rubber seals at the hole  that should not leak.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

...it's not trivial to find decent quality metal stems any more.

As visionaut says, there's a rubber seal underneath, and those do have a lifespan, too.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

When I acquired a set of factory alloy wheels, they had the OEM metal valve stems on 'em.  Had a terrible time removing 'em, as they were corroded in place (nickel-plated brass stems, aluminum wheel).  Took penetrating oil, patience and a copper mallet to get 'em loose.  Didn't want to use heat.  

Lesson learned:  + 1 on similar metals, particularly when one is aluminum.

Fortunately the stem holes in the wheels weren't corroded, so replaced 'em with rubber stems.  They've been doing just fine for 10+ years.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

my favorite wheels for the 2002! I hope to find a used set someday.

Beware, Joe!

I looked for a restorable used set for more than a year. Found just one rim.  Gave up and bought four of the new versions to go with my single vintage example (same visually except the new version places “FPS”, the manufacturer, on the front of the rim).  Mounted new XAS’s.  Within three months I came across two vintage sets of four.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

22 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Beware, Joe!

I looked for a restorable used set for more than a year. Found just one.  Gave up and bought four of the new versions to go with my single vintage example (same visually except the new version places “FPS”, the manufacturer, on the front of the rim).  Mounted new XAS’s.  Within three months I came across two vintage sets of four.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

that's usually the way it works for me.

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)